Very underweight pullet. Advice??

Gotcha, and I'm safe to do the Nurtridrench now that the Corid is done right? Because the Corid keeps them from absorbing the vitamins. I'm learning! Lol

She's stumbling around drinking some so we'll see.
Yes. I would give her the Nutri-Drench. I would direct dose her twice a day.
Dose is 1cc per 3 pounds of weight, so I would split the dose and give once now and then again later in the day.
Then work on hydration, then eating some wet feed. Leave out the scratch and go with wet chick starter and scrambled egg.

Hand water her if you have to. The vitamins will help to make sure she gets some nutrients, but hydration is even more important.
Wyorp Rock's advice is solid: hydration, then some wet feed and egg for easy digestion. You can even sweeten up the mix with a little Yogurt, which will only help her digestion. We're pulling for your baby!

Hi! If your chicken is underweight, make sure that 1. it has a loss of appetite, which can result from illness. 2. if it is at the bottom of the pecking order, and other chickens are being aggressive and limiting food intake

The best way to approach this may be isolating the chicken so that you can observe and feed the chicken

Also, when one of my hens had coccidiosis, she lost a lot of weight and had little to no appetite. I would check for that, and if she has it, then you can add supplements to their water which is made to stop coccidiosis

Hi! If your chicken is underweight, make sure that 1. it has a loss of appetite, which can result from illness. 2. if it is at the bottom of the pecking order, and other chickens are being aggressive and limiting food intake

The best way to approach this may be isolating the chicken so that you can observe and feed the chicken

Also, when one of my hens had coccidiosis, she lost a lot of weight and had little to no appetite. I would check for that, and if she has it, then you can add supplements to their water which is made to stop coccidiosis
She is by herself so I can monitor that she's eating and drinking, we also just finished treatment for Cocci. Thank you for your advice!

She was eating and drinking by herself earlier today, but things seem to keep going down hill.😔 I gave her nutridrench several hours ago. I watched her drink several times so I didn't give her liquids by mouth. She is under a brooder plate at the moment.

She is just laying down with very shallow breathing. I picked her up a minute ago because I thought she was gone and she started spewing brown liquid out of her mouth.😢 I'm afraid to give more nutridrench because she seems too weak to even swallow.

I have heard from the breeder and she was upset that Dusty was so sick. She said all her other birds looked great (she actually has some in the state fair this week) and that Dusty was one of the youngest ones of her flock. (Maybe like we discussed before, she just lost the fight for food?) She is giving me another bird so we shall see what it looks like when I get it.

We've had no weight gain in the week I've had her. She's actually lost half an oz despite eating like a champ up until this morning.

At this point I'm just praying she goes to sleep peacefully😭 I don't know what else I can do...💔 She may shock us all and bounce back🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom