Very urgent! Intestine or umbilical cord?

It’s been a busy two and a half days (I got my drivers license yesterday!) so I haven’t been able to update. The owners decided not to cull as after prayer she seemed to be getting stronger. Her name is now Deloise and I bought her and two other chicks from the original owners (Sidra is yellow with fluffy cheeks, and Chaska, who’s yellow with grayish brown stripes down her back). She is doing amazing! I gave her more baths and almost all of the stickiness is off. She’s still weak but the swelling went down completely and her legs were swollen and weak but now she stands a lot and can run around. She’s also drinking on her own and eating (although I still give/offer her nutridrench water from the dropper regularly, and her water that she has in there has nutridrench too). Yesterday she basically just laid down. She’d take less than a step and have to lay down. But today she is much better and walks around a lot. I can tell that she’s steadily getting stronger!

My sister put a box In her space and she LOVES sitting in it. She literally never comes out.
ADC57593-9E9A-444C-B9A2-E5B46255815B.jpeg

It’s been a busy two and a half days (I got my drivers license yesterday!) so I haven’t been able to update. The owners decided not to cull as after prayer she seemed to be getting stronger. Her name is now Deloise and I bought her and two other chicks from the original owners (Sidra is yellow with fluffy cheeks, and Chaska, who’s yellow with grayish brown stripes down her back). She is doing amazing! I gave her more baths and almost all of the stickiness is off. She’s still weak but the swelling went down completely and her legs were swollen and weak but now she stands a lot and can run around. She’s also drinking on her own and eating (although I still give/offer her nutridrench water from the dropper regularly, and her water that she has in there has nutridrench too). Yesterday she basically just laid down. She’d take less than a step and have to lay down. But today she is much better and walks around a lot. I can tell that she’s steadily getting stronger!

My sister put a box In her space and she LOVES sitting in it. She literally never comes out.
View attachment 2374875
That is so great to hear!!!

I am so happy to read that the chick didn't get culled! I am not sure about the other issues you had listed, but I imagine intestines are much larger than the string in your photo, the navel didn't look concerning and if she was assisted to hatch too early, the head swelling may just be the 'special "hatching muscle"' mentioned in the Step by Step Guide to ASSISTED Hatching.

The following has been copied from the above article:
"A special "hatching muscle" on the back of the chick's neck (see photo to the right) swells to several times its normal size with a great influx of fluid from the embryo's lymphatic system. This swelling accentuates sensory signals sent through the neck, stimulating the embryo to further activity."

Maybe this could also explain the shaking?

Best of luck and keep us posted on the adventures of Deloise and co.!

Last edited:
I am so happy to read that the chick didn't get culled! I am not sure about the other issues you had listed, but I imagine intestines are much larger than the string in your photo, the navel didn't look concerning and if she was assisted to hatch too early, the head swelling may just be the 'special "hatching muscle"' mentioned in the Step by Step Guide to ASSISTED Hatching.

The following has been copied from the above article:
"A special "hatching muscle" on the back of the chick's neck (see photo to the right) swells to several times its normal size with a great influx of fluid from the embryo's lymphatic system. This swelling accentuates sensory signals sent through the neck, stimulating the embryo to further activity."

Maybe this could also explain the shaking?

Best of luck and keep us posted on the adventures of Deloise and co.!
That makes sense!

She’s doing great today but has bad social skills. She pecks Chaska and Sidra a lot and so I separated them, but they can still see and hear each other. Sidra does not stand to be pecked, she’ll turn around and peck right back, but Chaska is a little more meek and doesn’t do anything. Hopefully Deloise will be a bit more friendly to her sisters!

The second photo is of a chick that pipped and then mommy got up, she literally got shrink wrapped in the egg. I got to her 12 hours later, she was still alive in the egg, so I helped her out. She was very weak, my wife kept her in her bra for a few hours, that night I put her back under her mamma and siblings. It took her a few days to catch up in terms of strength with her siblings. The first photo shows her today, 7 months later, as one of my best laying hens. They are stronger than we think.

Attachments

• 7ECE1ECD-B3D4-403C-9153-9BCEBEE1213C.jpeg
    7ECE1ECD-B3D4-403C-9153-9BCEBEE1213C.jpeg
    463.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 138EF53C-B366-47B8-BCE8-D5D846667E05.jpeg
    138EF53C-B366-47B8-BCE8-D5D846667E05.jpeg
    575.6 KB · Views: 3
The second photo is of a chick that pipped and then mommy got up, she literally got shrink wrapped in the egg. I got to her 12 hours later, she was still alive in the egg, so I helped her out. She was very weak, my wife kept her in her bra for a few hours, that night I put her back under her mamma and siblings. It took her a few days to catch up in terms of strength with her siblings. The first photo shows her today, 7 months later, as one of my best laying hens. They are stronger than we think.
I had a shrink wrapped chick, pretty much same story as yours. Her name is Jaelyn now, and she’s a very happy girl. Needed some help at first and was a bit weaker, but is very strong now.

Little update :)
She’s doing better each day! Actually pretty normal, though still smaller than the others. She is getting some wing feathers! Her sisters are getting lots of feathers too. She has social skills now :lol: she coexists very well with Sidra and Chaska and doesn’t peck them anymore. She is also very fluffy, I gave her only two baths and then she did a lot of preening.
03CC299F-B612-465D-BCAB-7D578EFB0E03.jpeg
46C4F560-491D-4C8D-BFF1-350C92633E62.jpeg

EE381CAE-B321-4EC9-BDED-6D4D87D9CC01.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom