Very weak rooster

Silkiechicken66

Songster
6 Years
Jul 22, 2016
My roo has started acting very weird. He just seemed sluggish the last week, I added vitamins and probiotics to the water but it hasn’t helped. I’ve noticed a small lump on the side of his neck, and his comb has shrunk and turned dull and dry. One of his wattles folds in on itself. What could be wrong? He just sits huddled all day and is very unstable when walking.

The skin in the second picture makes him look rather dehydrated. Have you tried just repeatedly dipping his beak? Sometimes that encourages them to drink.

As of this spring, I've tried injecting SQ saline twice, and it worked pretty well on case #1 (young bird, weak, suspected coccid) but seemed to do nothing for case #2.

1. I would definitely treat him for the lice
  2. Make sure he gets lots of fluid in him
Is his face normally that purple? The lump does concern me. The last time that my hen had a dry and shriveled up comb, I just had to pop in some fluids to get her rehydrated and that was it. The lump may be a problem. For the fluid, give him some fluid via syringe but not too much though. Also wet his food down. @casportpony @Eggcessive @drumstick diva @Texas Kiki @Granny Hatchet @azygous should be able to help you further

As of this spring, I've tried injecting SQ saline twice, and it worked pretty well on case #1 (young bird, weak, suspected coccid) but seemed to do nothing for case #2.
I can see where you are going but I think my only concern is that some people aren't comfortable nor have access to needles. But good thinking! I would have never though of this

I can see where you are going but I think my only concern is that some people aren't comfortable nor have access to needles. But good thinking! I would have never though of this
I wouldn't have thought of it, but an RN brought it up somewhere, and I did some research. It was more meant to be a side note than anything else.

What I should have brought up is electrolytes. 2 qt water, 1 pinch salt (helps with water absorption) 1 tbsp sweetener (honey or corn syrup for energy, smoothness, and taste) 1 tsp baking soda (stomach soother.)

7404A374-704C-470D-B8E0-74D4B01A99A5.jpeg
59FD9BAE-378B-44F0-AFD6-AB464A23E7E3.jpeg

And while taking photos I noticed itty bitty lice type bugs. Not visible to eye but to the camera. I will give him a permethrin dip tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom