very worried about my sick young hen

geprgiawc

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 11, 2013
Tuesday morning my hen (who is about 16 weeks) didn't want to leave the coop. I let the others out at 7 and she was still in sleeping at 8:30. I petted her and she would cluck at me and sleep. I posted a thread and took her to the vet that afternoon.
By the 1:40 appointment she was barely with me, laying her head down flat.
Vet examined her (though not much experience with chickens) and put her on clavamox for any infection and told me to force feed her water and food, gave me syringes. Said she was think but felt noting inside that worried her.
I took her home and started that. After some food and water she perked up a bit, but still not standing or walking.
We continued the same care.
Thursday (yesterday) I posted again because she was still the same, and suggestions were to put her (and her 6 sisters who are still outside and fine) or Corid for Cocci infection. (only able to get it for calves but got mixing advice here - so using 1/4 teaspoon per half gallon of water) Also suggestion given to give her applesauce.
Started her on that yesterday, she is drinking water and eating applesauce, though mostly when I am with her and talking to her. Definitely more alert and stood a bit when I put her up, took a few steps, but still overall very tired and weak.
I thought I would see more improvement by now.
Her stools are still runny but no blood, never had any blood.
Any other thoughts? She is a dear little girl, and I want to help her feel better.

I am very happy to report that Agnes, after 4 days of Corid plus her Clavamox, watermelon, applesauce etc...is feeling lots better. She is walking around, stretching , eating her crumbles and generally being a chicken again. Thanks to everyone for their help, I know she wouldn't have made it without the Corid treatment! The other 6 are all on it as well and no new illnesses!

Back
Top Bottom