Vet cost rant

I can relate. My dog stopped eating over the weekend and was in pain. We ended up in the emergency clinic. $330 later, she had gas and was constipated *sigh*
Heartworm pills and flea treatment are the real ripoff though. You know those companies have got to be making big bucks with what they charge, but you have to have it if you want healthy animals. They're part of the family, so you gotta keep them healthy and happy! Sure do wish it could be done a little less expensively though!

Quote:
They were tape worm segments that I saw in his stool. This wormer will kill all types of worms. Unfortunatly I couldn't find a wormer in the store that would kill tape worms, so I felt like I had no choice. If someone knows a better way to treat these, please let us all know because the price was just crazy. I almost walked out but knew I had no other option.

Last edited:
Quote:
You are VERY lucky! None of the vets we've ever used had or have payment plans. 'Payment in full' before leaving the office is standard. And in 30 years, none have ever waived a fee in any situation.

I use a tube of horse wormer for dogs...and the cats! $7 a tube and it lasts for a long time. Just a dab will do. I did a little research on the main, active ingredient and its the exact same med they use for humans who have worms. Good enough for the horses, good enough for the humans....good enough for my dogs and cats.

My sister does the whole vet thing also and pays $120 for the same pills described by the OP! One of her dogs came for a visit one day and its feces was squirming with round worms! So, I don't know if those pills are all that effective either. I made her bag her poo and take it somewhere else for disposal. Nasty!

Quote:
IN GENERAL.. dogs are only de-wormed when worms are FOUND in their stool.

Now the OP mentioned a HUGE price, which is always the Tapeworm meds, which also in general are not available to the general public.. so here tapeworm meds wouldn't have done a thing for round worms, I hope that she didn't get the wrong thing. I'm losing faith in the veterinary communnity all the time, and now that I'm out in the country, I've gone a bit renegade. For instance, I use a medicine my vet refuses to carry or support... Revolution.. flea, ticks, heartworm & more in one quick dose.. can give it to the dogs AND the cats in varying amounts. I can also get boosters from the Tractor Supply and so don't need them for that anymore even though the don't approve. I DO see them for annual visits/rabies, emergencies and when we adopt new and EVERY time they try to convince me to use their services.. but I tell them as long as the law allows me to take care of these MINOR medical issues, I surely will excercise my freedom to do so and save money.. not to mention time driving there & waiting for them!

Regular dewormers are fairly inexpensive and any broad spectrum will work as a preventative or deal with minor outbreaks

guess I have my own rant too with vets... I practically grew up in an animal hospital, and we practically had our own at home... it's just not right how things have changed in the last decade... I dunno.. maybe it's just my luck with vets (in 5 different states:( )

Last edited by a moderator:
IN GENERAL.. dogs are only de-wormed when worms are FOUND in their stool.

I worm in the spring and again in the fall, just because. I don't wait until I find worms in the stool, I just worm. I've never found worms in the stool, so I guess its working.
tongue.png

I worm everyone quarterly... only because it's MUCH easier to worm the animals than it is to worm the humans
wink.png

I also slack off the flea & tick meds in the cold winter months...

It should be said they've made it so it's easy for everyone really.. if you have the time & energy to learn about all of these things for your pets, you may find you don't always need them.

One thing..I use heartworm control year round... yes it's unlikely that winter would bring a heartworm infection but the treatment for an infection is just... well rough on the animal.. it's not ok to get heartworms.

I mix food grade diatamaceous earth into the dogs food, 1 teaspoon a day for 2 weeks, twice a year. Actually, I only do it once a year now, cos the dogs just don't seem to get worms anymore - or fleas either, for that matter. It's nontoxic and cheap.

Back
Top Bottom