Vet cost rant

Redfeathers

Songster
12 Years
Oct 11, 2007
Gervais OR
I love my vet clinic, I really do, they honestly care about my dogs but man oh man are they EXPENSIVE!! I just discovered my dog has worms, so off to the vet I go for a pill to kill the little critters. $72.85 for three pills.
th.gif
Seriously...ouch. I have two more dogs I should treat as well...I just can't believe it!! The other dogs will have to wait until payday. I haven't seen any worms in their stool, but I figure if one has them, the rest do too.

Have you looked at a Petmeds type website for their prices? Our vet will match them, but only if you ask
wink.png

Ouch! That's pretty pricey x 3. I agree with you that all 3 need treated.

My vet takes easy payment plans with established clients, which really helps with expensive emergency treatments. When we adopted our very ill kitten (he did not think she would survive more than a couple of days), he waived the office visit charges since he wanted to see her every other day for a week and then every week thereafter for the next 3 weeks. He just charged for all the medications she needed. Needless to say, I send him more clients than he can handle in return.

Unfortunately the price of animal care and medicines is rising just as quickly as human care and medicines.

Quote:
Our vet was going to charge us some exorbitant rate for medication a while back. I told them to be expecting a call from petmeds. They said they don’t deal with them…. I told them that it wasn‘t fair for them to hold something like that over my head. They told me to go find a new vet if I didn‘t like it! They mysteriously closed about six months ago…. Can’t imagine why.
lol.png

My former client, from my days of coaching three day eventing, is looking for a good retirement home for her TB gelding. She is almost begging me to take him, and I really want to as he is a great horse. However, I know the expense involved in boarding and caring for a horse. I am so torn, it is a huge financial strain. Hmmmm...

i have alwyas wanted to try those walmart or (store brand) wormers..but i'm afraid they dont work..like the flea stuff you can buy over the counter(they dont work at all)..do the store bought wormers work?..if so..i'm gonna try them...thanks, Wendy

http://www.PetShed.com PetShed is in Australia, however, they have a product called Canex.. it's a good de-wormer and includes Hook, Round, Whip & Tape. This sort of thing isn't offered here in the states because we couldn't possibly be "trusted" worming our dogs ourselves with vet intervention. They give it away free with many bulk purchases on products like Revolution. I buy enough large breed revolution & then split it among the animals both feline & canine that we can deworm once per quarter for free. It takes about 2 weeks for the products to arrive & shipping is VERY reasonable.

It sounds like Tapeworm meds that you have got there at that price... is that the case? In which case, tape is serious and should be considered extremely bad.. pay the price for the local meds and take stool samples for the remaining ones if you can't afford to get them all wormed right now. For peace of mind though you should bite the bullet & deworm them all and THEN you can get on some Canex for prevention & treatment.

By the way... in the states, the vets haven't heard of canex or even a wormer that does all 4... such a shame.
Also.. Tractor Supply sells booster shots, so the only thing you should have to go to the vet for are puppy care (initial shots/spay/neuter), emergencies & an annual physical & rabies shot.

Back
Top Bottom