Vet mentioned color of chicken’s comb is this a concern? Help?

LisaM1307

Chirping
Jan 9, 2023
Hi,
I have a chocolate Orpington just turned 15 weeks. She’s good sized. She had one abnormally loose stool so I took her to the vet and I’m waiting on results from sample. While there the vet mentioned the color of her comb being pale and her lacking coloring on her face. I didn’t realize it was considered pale and it’s the same color as my other two chickens or at least pretty close. One is a lavender Orpington and another is a blue copper Maran. I thought it was an age thing as they really just began getting skin not feathers around eyes and the combs are still smaller. I will attach a couple pictures. The lighting makes it hard. Her behavior has been fine. I’m going to be isolating her per vet recommendation so that will help gauge her eating and drinking.
10F494BC-1BC1-41AB-9BF3-4C4702010317.jpeg
8B5EAE42-F8C9-4300-AFB7-6A40CFBA4266.jpeg
A1323F60-BC48-4EDE-9771-6008A886045E.png

Do you think these colors are way off? Normal?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I lost my 4th chicken right before Christmas suddenly so I am overly worried about these 3.

Hi,
I have a chocolate Orpington just turned 15 weeks. She’s good sized. She had one abnormally loose stool so I took her to the vet and I’m waiting on results from sample. While there the vet mentioned the color of her comb being pale and her lacking coloring on her face. I didn’t realize it was considered pale and it’s the same color as my other two chickens or at least pretty close. One is a lavender Orpington and another is a blue copper Maran. I thought it was an age thing as they really just began getting skin not feathers around eyes and the combs are still smaller. I will attach a couple pictures. The lighting makes it hard. Her behavior has been fine. I’m going to be isolating her per vet recommendation so that will help gauge her eating and drinking.View attachment 3371408View attachment 3371410View attachment 3371412
Do you think these colors are way off? Normal?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I lost my 4th chicken right before Christmas suddenly so I am overly worried about these 3.
Combs look completely normal for that age.
20200531_151505.jpg
20200531_151440.jpg

But, obviously, you need to listen to your vet.

Thank you. I’m not sure he sees a ton of chickens although he does specialize in birds. I do know they aren’t laying yet.

You're welcome. Veterinarians aren't exactly chicken experts.
In this case I would NOT listen to the vet. She doesn’t seem like there is anything wrong with her other than a random loose stool, and isolating her from her flock would do her a disservice.

There have been several articles in Backyard Poultry magazine about the color of combs and what it means. I do know that when the hens are laying, their comb gets very red, and right now in winter, their combs are much lighter, almost ash-like. Obviously, I'm not a vet, but I go a lot with behavior. From time to time my girls will have a loose stool, but are acting fine. I'm sure you can fine more info online. But, obviously, you need to listen to your vet.

It looks ok to me! How is she eating? Can you pick her up and compare her the others?
Honestly I wasn’t sure who is eating what. The vet said her crop was empty but she’s far bigger than my other two. She’s been the biggest since she was tiny.

Back
Top Bottom