Vet wants me to use Mazuri but I think Kalmbach is better

Compostflower

Songster
May 11, 2021
I have looked at the mazuri ingredients and I do like that it has brewers yeast and the fish flakes etc. However the first ingredients are corn and soy and since it’s not non gmo I’m sure they are gmo and sprayed to hell with chemicals. I think he doesn’t believe in gmos or something ( the vet) so it’s pointless to try to discuss with him. So I figured I’d ask my people here! What are your thoughts about this? I use kalambach maintainer and suppliment with meal worms oyster shells with calcium supplements sprinkled on top and occasionally nutritional yeast. They also forage a ton in spring fall and summer. In winter I give them lettuce from the store like kale and baby lettuce not spinach anymore because of its calcium leaching.

But ok the bottom line is I don’t like the gmo soy and corn as the first ingredients. The first ingredients usually always indicate what the product is mostly made up of.

I too don't give my flock gmo ingredients if I can help it. I don't know what vets are required to study in school compared to medical doctors ( Last I checked, 10% or less of medical doctors took a nutrition course in medical school) but it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't a heavy emphasis on it.
All that to say, just because he is a vet doesn't mean that you literally have to feed the feed he recommends. If what you're feeding is getting the job done and your health flock is healthy, go with it.

I too don't give my flock gmo ingredients if I can help it. I don't know what vets are required to study in school compared to medical doctors ( Last I checked, 10% or less of medical doctors took a nutrition course in medical school) but it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't a heavy emphasis on it.
All that to say, just because he is a vet doesn't mean that you literally have to feed the feed he recommends. If what you're feeding is getting the job done and your health flock is healthy, go with it.
:goodpost:

He also said too much calcium won’t hurt the boy or their livers and I just have my doubts.
My boys all eat layer but I mix it with NON GMO 6 way scratch grains and keep out oyster shell for my layers. This way the boys aren't getting a lot of extra calcium. I have a 13 yr old rooster in top shape and an 11 yr old Muscovy drake and a 6.5 yr old Runner drake all have eaten layer mixed this way. I'd much rather buy all flock in non GMO but haven't found any.

Wow that’s really interesting I mean I am open to trying it I’m just scared because I don’t want him to get hurt. I order the kalambach maintainer non gmo from this farm store they order it in for me so it’s not crazy expensive like on chewy. I think it ends up being around 27 or so dollars which isn’t bad for better quality than the average offerings at tractor supply and they don’t have maintainer anyways lol

Back
Top Bottom