VETERANS' DAY

Thanks from a USMC 1st Lt (Viet Nam era) vet.

What a weekend! Saturday was the USMC 232nd Birthday, and then the Navy Chaplain Corp and Veterans' Day yesterday.

My thoughts and prayers are constantly with our very brave men and women who defend our country against those who choose to destroy our freedoms.

Semper Fi, and a big ooooorahh!

My FIL was a marine in vietnam. He has suffered so much because of that war and a simple thank you is the least we can do for all who serve this country. So to all who are serving or who have served this country.

THANK YOU!!!!!!
hugs.gif

Carl, Thank You and all the many others! I pray for all the men and women on a daily basis. My Pappy was a very proud Navy Vet and I miss him dearly! and I have a list of Uncles who where and are Veterans from all branches. I also have a family member who was just shipped out for another 18 months in Iraq. Again Carl, Veteran's, and K-Ray THANK YOU!!
hugs.gif
love.gif

To all of the Veterans,
THANK YOU!!!

My Great grandfather missed WWII because he broke both ankles jumping out of a balloon.
My Grandfather was a merchant marine and worked at General Dynamics/Bethlehem Steel making the boats.
My Great grandmother helped test the bombs in the bunkers down in Wompatuck State park, by whacking on them with little hammers...shrug
My Dad watched over the Miraflores Locks in the Panama Canal.
My Uncle was in Germany at the same time as Elvis at the Berlin wall.
I'm proud of each and everyone of them and YOU who served and still serve our country.

This post continues to be a very humbling experience for me. I was a combat engineer my entire military career as was many generations of my family members. In peacetime, we worked, through public projects abroad, to generate a positive attitude about what freedom is and what makes Americans willing to defend that freedom. Not everyone in the USA can be a soldier, a sailor, an airman or a marine. However, you, as an American citizen, are not required to be one--that is your freedom. Life,liberty and the pursuit of happiness has been our herald these past 231 years! But remember, as you tuck your children and turn out the lights...the US Veteran still pays the price. Thank you all for the gratitude and graciousness y'all have shown here. This one-legged vet is duly humbled.
old.gif

I'm off the soapbox now...all y'all take care!
frow.gif

Thanks. My DD's school put on a chapel service for Veterans and had over 50 to show up. The service was beautiful. We had WWII, Korean,Vietnam, Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom Vets and active duty there. We had a member of each branch including the Seebees. Each branch had their flag and a member of that branch carried it, the American Flag was folded and Taps was played. The Chapel coord. sang a song called " Let Freedom Ring" and had slide show that featured the pictures that had been loaned to the school by the Veterans and their families. We had stuff going all the way back to the Civil War on display. All the kids think my DD is "cool" because her dad was in the USCG.
Thanks again to all the Veterans out there.

In case if anyone is interested...does anyone know where the US Navy came up with the word "Sea Bee?" Actually it's C. B. as in Construction Battalion i.e. combat engineers! After WWII,the US Navy was trying to come up with different approaches to "sell,"to the US Congress and the American taxpayer, essential commands that the US Navy operated; to remain "combat-ready" and not have a repeat of Pearl Harbor, 07 DEC 1941.

What did you do in the Air Force, Carl? I worked in Civil Engineering for 17 years as a power lineman. A couple of years ago I retrained to be a C-130 Flight Engineer.

MSgt Mike McCarty, USAF

I started as a combat engineer/ EOD in the US Army for eight years...then once I had my two master's degrees...I joined the USAF, first in RED HORSE that became RRR that became PRIME BEEF that became BRAAT that became RED HORSE yet again? It's like 95% boredom through training mixed with 5% sheer terror when the shate really hits it! Somewhere during all that, I taught electron theory and fire-cipher lock alarm systems at Sheppard AFB. I retired in 1992 after 24 yrs;back then amputees weren't allowed to continue military service like they're permitted to do so now. For 10 yrs, I taught junior college mathematics and retired completely 2 yrs ago, I have had enough community service.

MSgt Carl R Goetz; AUS, USAF

Back
Top Bottom