VetRX not working

Oh and yes, they’re on sand— construction sand, usually slightly damp bc it rains constantly where I live. Once again, I observe little to no dust in the mornings with my flashlight.

Does it look like IB from the pictures?
I don’t see anything that screams MG or other diseases, but it would require testing to say 100% that they have IB virus. They seem pretty bright-eyed. I would just keep an eye on them, make sure they are eating and drinking well, and make sure their coop is dry with fresh bedding, and good air circulation. Stuffy coops with moisture or ammonia odors can make it much easier to get repiratory infections. Good luck.

You’re welcome. You can always call your state vet and ask how much and how to get a couple of sick chickens tested for what disease they have, so that you know for sure what is going on. It may only cost a couple of dollars per chicken in some states, but hard to know without calling. With IB in your flock, you need to not hatch or add birds for a year after the last sick bird gets over it, or it will keep spreading to new ones. IB makes them carriers for up to a year. Here is a list of state poultry vets where you can find a phone number of yours:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

VetRx will not treat a respiratory infection.
Respiratory infections are typically treated with tylosin.
If you can find or have Tylan 50 (available at most TSC stores), you can draw out the solution using a needle and syringe, then remove the needle and dose it orally at a rate of 1/2cc per large size bird twice daily for 5 to 7 days.
If you are comfortable doing it, you can also inject the Tylan 50 subcutaneously at the same dosage, twice daily for 5 days. The birds will respond faster using injections vs. oral but oral will work.
Injections can be given on the back near the base of the neck or on the breast. Alternate injection sites with each injection if that is your preferred method of administration. Only insert the needle about 1/4", just below the skin. If you have a helper you can lift the skin to form a tent and inject in the triangle area of the tent. You can look up how to give injections to chickens on YouTube.
Incredibly helpful! Only 1 of my chicks is still sick, it seemed to have worked on the others very well. Going to try this since I can get it online or tsc. Thanks a bunch! I need to do something for the poor girl. She just sneezes often but not acting sick and doesnt look sick one little bit. So curious to me. I will try this out. Hope it helps her. She's laying just fine too so I'm just stumped lol

Back
Top Bottom