Viable treatment for Marek's Disease.

I find this super interesting and may see if I see any type of improvements to my chickens with MG. I have a few birds that have more chronic symptoms that it seems worth trying. I haven’t looked yet, but are there any negative side effects to using it and how do you dose them and what do you use? Just a pill down the hatch? Can it be mixed in a suspension? Wet mash? Just curious if you know! Thanks so much for sharing!

I find this super interesting and may see if I see any type of improvements to my chickens with MG. I have a few birds that have more chronic symptoms that it seems worth trying. I haven’t looked yet, but are there any negative side effects to using it and how do you dose them and what do you use? Just a pill down the hatch? Can it be mixed in a suspension? Wet mash? Just curious if you know! Thanks so much for sharing!

Well, unfortunately Chinese Skullcap doesn't seem to be something that is common in brick & mortar shops. So I had to order it. Just a stroke of luck, a friend gifted me her herb stockpile a few years ago and there happened to be about 2 oz of Chinese Skullcap in there. I measured out 20 doses and mixed it with a Bantam egg white. Rolled it into 20 little balls and stored it in a brown glass bottle in the fridge.

I just dropped one down their throat.

I ordered Nettle leaf, milk thistle, white willow and Chinese Skullcap tinctures.

Dosage is 14 drops. I add the other 3 as system support for visibility effected.

I have 17 dead birds that were fully vaccinated.
You have had a necropsy confirming Marek's right?

Thank you for the photos by the way! Do keep up with documenting this. I still find it all interesting to see what others do.

Now. I can't say whether or not what you see with your hen's eye is Ocular form of Marek's or not. I think it's very good that she's improving!
I'm looking at the photos and doing a comparison. You have an older photo that shows a normal eye with normal color, then the eye that is "off".
I do note that the lower lid looks to have been damaged or cut. I wonder if she at some point suffered a poke or injury to the eye which can cause color change.

1686023045768.png

You have had a necropsy confirming Marek's right?

Thank you for the photos by the way! Do keep up with documenting this. I still find it all interesting to see what others do.

Now. I can't say whether or not what you see with your hen's eye is Ocular form of Marek's or not. I think it's very good that she's improving!
I'm looking at the photos and doing a comparison. You have an older photo that shows a normal eye with normal color, then the eye that is "off".
I do note that the lower lid looks to have been damaged or cut. I wonder if she at some point suffered a poke or injury to the eye which can cause color change.

View attachment 3530691
Marek's is a herpes virus and when it is in the eye it causes serious irritation.

I don't want to have a necropsy performed due to the government having a bad habit of deciding to destroy entire flocks. I saw what they did in California.

Also, no one has died since I figured out what it is. But if you know of a non-governmental lab that does test, please let me know.

Marek's is a herpes virus and when it is in the eye it causes serious irritation.

I don't want to have a necropsy performed due to the government having a bad habit of deciding to destroy entire flocks. I saw what they did in California.

Also, no one has died since I figured out what it is. But if you know of a non-governmental lab that does test, please let me know.
I haven’t heard of flocks being destroyed because of Marek’s, I thought that was only for the avian flu?

I haven’t heard of flocks being destroyed because of Marek’s, I thought that was only for the avian flu?
Newcastle and Marek's were the previous 'Avian Flu'. I watched videos of Backyard poultry owners who were held by authorities while health workers chased down and murdered their entire flock right in front of them. They threw the corpses in trash bags and dumped these 'highly contagious' birds in a local landfill. To make matters worse, some didn't even have birds test positive, they were within a set radius of a bird that did. So they killed them all. And banned poultry ownership for two years.

Nah, I'm not opting in on any of that.

Newcastle and Marek's were the previous 'Avian Flu'. I watched videos of Backyard poultry owners who were held by authorities while health workers chased down and murdered their entire flock right in front of them. They threw the corpses in trash bags and dumped these 'highly contagious' birds in a local landfill. To make matters worse, some didn't even have birds test positive, they were within a set radius of a bird that did. So they killed them all. And banned poultry ownership for two years.

Nah, I'm not opting in on any of that.
I know that happened for avian flu/Newcastle’s, but I haven’t read anything that mentioned backyard flocks being culled by the government due to Marek’s, can you link where you found that out? (I’m concerned for my birds, as I probably have Marek’s in my flock.)

I know that happened for avian flu/Newcastle’s, but I haven’t read anything that mentioned backyard flocks being culled by the government due to Marek’s, can you link where you found that out? (I’m concerned for my birds, as I probably have Marek’s in my flock.)

I'm afraid I can't. I watched it on a program at a friend's house about a year ago when the Avian Flu culling started. I was so horrified I have never made any attempts to locate it. It literally made me physically ill. I still have nightmares from the lady screaming 'Run Delores Run!' and watching them grab a Barred Rock hen as she escaped the net and snapped her neck.

I'm afraid I can't. I watched it on a program at a friend's house about a year ago when the Avian Flu culling started. I was so horrified I have never made any attempts to locate it. It literally made me physically ill. I still have nightmares from the lady screaming 'Run Delores Run!' and watching them grab a Barred Rock hen as she escaped the net and snapped her neck.
I’ve seen stuff like that too. :( But no mentions of Marek’s except as a (less deadly) comparison to the flu.

I’ve seen stuff like that too. :( But no mentions of Marek’s except as a (less deadly) comparison to the flu.
In hind sight, I can't be 100% sure Marek's was THE reason for any of those culls. I do recall it was addressed on the program. I just know I'm never getting the government involved in my homestead. Ever.

Back
Top Bottom