1. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Hi,
    I thought I read something about Vicks somewhere? maybe putting on their nostrils for a cold or something?
    Anyone?
    THanks,
    Angela

Edited to add: thought it was a "wifes tale" type remedy for use on chickens....
    not asking about uses on humans, althought on the feet is one I hadn't heard but may try sometime when have a cold. =]

also thought someone mentioned putting vasoline on a chickens comb if it is larger one in the winter to help protect it from cold and frostbite. Is that true?
    Thanks,
    Angela

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    It was under the feet and socks on.

Supposed to work, but I'm not sure.

3. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

Read the package. It normally discusses use.

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:I'm sure she DID read the package (even though the writting on those is pretty darn tiny) - she was asking about something that was posted here a few days ago - I think it was on a thread by MissPrissy.

5. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    You can rub Vicks Salve on a chickens face and under the wings for a "Chicken Cold". For people, rub the bottom of the feet with Vick's and put socks on at bedtime. It helps a chicken to breathe just like it does people. Just rubbed on different places.

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

The Vicks on the bottom of human feet with socks on over it DOES work. I am a nurse and a mother and I have tried some crazy old folks remedies and that one was told to me by a 96 year old nursing home patient of mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by