vinegar or teramycin in baby chicks water?

northstarjan

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 27, 2008
I have just purchased baby chicks and this time the farm I bought them from suggested puting Terramycin in the water the chicks drink. Also a magazine article suggests vinegar for chickens in their water. Any suggestions? Is this necessary?

I know vinegar in water can help with worms ( I think ) plain water should be fine unless it seems ill. What kind of feed are you giving it? Medicated or non-medicated chick grower?

non medicated, but they did sell medicated and it is crumbles. I have 13 chickens but I do not raise chicks. I am replenishing my layer flock.

Well, they shouldn't need anything right now. However someone who has more experience hopefully will chime in. Since I'm assuming they weren't vaccinated by the farmer prior to getting them you don't need to worry about undoing them by feeding medicated feed. But you don't have to. I wouldn't do anything unless they seem ill. Just my opinion. Try and keep the stuff on hand though for when/if you do need it.

Good luck and post pictures. What kinds did you get?

your advise sounds great thanks! I purchased 5 white rocks. yesterday. Today at the poultry show I purchased a mixture of 7 including buffs , new hampshire and some I cant identify. but the farmer said they will lay very dark brown eggs.

Ooo, very dark brown. Hmm, you'll have to post pictures to get peoples opinions. I like Welsummers (sp?), they lay real dark eggs.

Good luck. It sounds like you'll have a nice colorful basket

I will post pics next time i get online. I also have amracanas they lay blue eggs, and bard rocks with a bunch of english bantems
well thanks for the chat going to bed now. hope to talk to ya again

Neither, if they are beyond the day of shipping stress, not even sugar water is necessary. Clean fresh water is all they need. Giving teramycin when there is no sign of infection, or ready risk of one, just encourages stronger bacteria to survive and be harder to rid of when you really need to kill them.

Back
Top Bottom