~Virgin Rooster Owner with questions!~

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 1mommahen, Sep 18, 2010.

1. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Hatched out some MFC bantams from eggs I won here on BYC from FFFancies! Adorable babies! Seven of the 13 are girls. Seven weeks old.

One of the roosters, Ralph LaRoo is already cock a doodle dooing all the way down the ramp each morning!

[​IMG]

Are bantams any quieter than LF roosters? Is the fact that he started so early mean he will be overly doodily? [​IMG] We are playing the "don't ask, don't tell" version of chicken owning so I don't want to blow it by having a rooster get me in trouble. That being said, he's the cutest darn roo I've ever laid eyes on and quite cuddly too! Only have one neighbor but that's all it takes to ruin some fun!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  2. PghChickens14

PghChickens14 New Egg

Sep 18, 2010
    SW Pennsylvania
    I am a novice chicken owner, so I couldn't help you much with advice, but he is a cutie!! :)

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I don't know if the research exists to correlate the age a roo begins to crow with how frequently he will mate with the hens. I do know that a bantam roo's crow can be as loud & far-reaching as a standard-sized roo, so if you're trying to keep your community from knowing you have chickens, you may want to find this guy a new home. It would be easier to get away with keeping bantam hens, many folks may not even realize they really are chickens.

4. JOSEYWALES

JOSEYWALES Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    So is the rooster a "Virgin" or is this your first rooster or both? [​IMG] Just kidding. Best of luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by