Virginia Swap Meet ~ Powhatan April 18th

Quote:
Nothing there? Then you must have gotten there very late. There were HUNDREDS of chickens, also quail, several goats and even turkey and craft items.

The event at TSC was a HUGE success and during the earlier hours of the swap before people left to home as they had sold everything there were more than a dozen vendors.

I personally had an excellent day selling over 200 chicks and young chickens.

Obviously there is going to be a conflict with 2 businesses having swap meets in the same town. Personally I think both will be great days but I certainly don't think the swap at TSC was a failure in any way. Especially since TSC asked for another swap as they had such great sales that day.

Sharon what's the best time to get there (TSC)? I don't want to get there before everyone gets a chance to arrive/set up, but I don't want to get there after all the chickens have been picked over.

Are plants allowed? I have some extra tomato and pepper starts. Not the greatest, it's been a bad year, but maybe someone wants them.

Picky Chicky, I would get there at 8:00 - that way you can scope stuff out as it's set up, and get first pick!
thumbsup.gif

Not to say that I'll be there right at 8:00, but that's because I'm allergic to mornings!
th.gif

Honestly if you can get there just before 8am it's a good idea. The good stuff goes very fast. I've literally sold stuff before I could get it out of the back of the truck trying to get set up.

The early bird catches the worm, or in this case "chickens"
wink.png

PS. I would love to buy some plants for my veggie garden!

Oh wow, okay...I'll be early this time. Seriously, before 8 am??? I'm coming from a distance which is why I called this time to see. I must have been too late last time. No offense, anyone! I'm not a vendor. I'm actually really excited there's two meets. I'll check them both out and I'm sure to find something this time. Hope you all do well.

Now for the real question. I'm just getting back into this chicken thing. Didn't think our current location could handle chickens with only 1/2 an acre, but we have an old dog kennel that's about 8x10. I'm thinking I could turn it into a chicken pen. Anyone ever done that? How many hens would you put into it and what would recommend for a small backyard, 2 small kids...just want to give them a bit of a bird experience and eat the eggs.

And by the way, you all have a great web presence. When I googled chickens you were my first hit.

No offense taken!
big_smile.png

Yes if you can get there early it certainly helps. The best stuff goes fast.
Please do go to both Hertzlers and TSC swaps, they are very close together off the same road and should be awesome!!

Hertzlers had planned a fun day on the farm with vendors, boy scouts selling food and having games for kids and I believe a local Church is setting up too... not to mention the goodies from the vendors.

TSC will have vendors too and I believe mower demonstrations. ( no fun on the farm though! )

Having 2 swap meets so close together on the same day makes it double worth the while to make the trip!

Lots of people have turned dog runs into chicken runs very successfully. You could easily get a dozen chickens in there but you may not want that many for a small family. Ask lots of questions to the vendors and even if they don't have it will be more than happy to point you in the direction of someone who has something that will best fit your poultry needs.

I'm bursting with excitement!!

DH was supposed to build me my quarantine coop for my new girls and he was running late and so last minute! Then I get home yesterday to find out he's splitting the shed almost in half and is walling up my portion so I can have a bigger coop!! That means my current coop which comfortable would fit 6 standards at the very least will be my quarantine/brooder/jail/etc!

I'm so psyched and on cloud nine! That means I can get MORE chickens!! WOOHOO!

wee.gif
ya.gif
bun.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
woot.gif
ya.gif

I'm ok... I'll calm down now.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom