Virulent Newcastle Disease or VND, Lots of Anguish, Little Solutions Offered

I was referring to the leftists who want to ban cows because they belch/fart methane, i.e., Green New Deal.

I agree that the amount of methane ect. that cows put off is crazy and I believe that it can be a problem. But it’s not their fault by any means, banning cows would be horrible! I just think we should not have as many huge factory farms like we currently do.

I agree that the amount of methane ect. that cows put off is crazy and I believe that it can be a problem. But it’s not their fault by any means, banning cows would be horrible! I just think we should not have as many huge factory farms like we currently do.
I worked for a cattle farmer for a year and he addressed this issue to me. His input was that yes, cows do give off methane. But so do literally almost every other living organism. Us included. So if we should ban cows for belching, we should fine us for farting or goats for belching or literally any other ruminant on the planet for existing. And you know what's a bigger source of methane? The underwater volcanos in the ocean. Literally methane geysers. So it's hardly the fault of the cattle.

And that was by far the best argument I've ever heard given on the subject.

They just say this to cover up the methane and CO2 emissions that our factorys create. I heard theres a power company in Canada thats using their CO2 emissions to grow algae instead of polluting. I wish we would adopt that here. Its not like there isn't money in it...thats what capitalism is all about right?

I'm a hobbyist too, Aunt Angus. I love my chickens because they're freakin' chickens. The eggs are a bonus. And although I know a nearby survivalist who has his flock for food, that's not what the owning population is in my part of the San Fernando Valley anymore than the horse owners have them for transportion.

LOL, survivalist. Virtually everyone in the world who raises chickens does so for food. Your part of the valley is an extreme exception.

That's the way I feel. I always imagine that if I actually sat down with some of the folks whose posts make me want to hate them - and had coffee...that we'd find a common ground or agree to disagree, and end up being friendly. Maybe that's just my hippy nature, but it makes me feel good and moderates my flashes of annoyance, so...there you go! :hugs

Yes, my hippy self felt that way...sweetness and light...until i got tired of being called a c***.

LOL, survivalist. Virtually everyone in the world who raises chickens does so for food. Your part of the valley is an extreme exception.

I agree that the majority raise chickens for food, but there is a smallish portion that don’t.

I personally as well as at least 4 other people that I know who live close to me don’t raise them for food.

I worked for a cattle farmer for a year and he addressed this issue to me. His input was that yes, cows do give off methane. But so do literally almost every other living organism. Us included. So if we should ban cows for belching, we should fine us for farting or goats for belching or literally any other ruminant on the planet for existing. And you know what's a bigger source of methane? The underwater volcanos in the ocean. Literally methane geysers. So it's hardly the fault of the cattle.

And that was by far the best argument I've ever heard given on the subject.

You know, I thought it was a myth that boys lit their farts...until I met my SO who did.

What?! Euthanize us, too?! Now that's extreme!

JK. I'm being silly. Kinda offended, but I know my opinion isn't valued here.

Wait... Isn't the name of this site "BackYard Chickens?" Huh.

Actually, I was being ironic. Hard to express that in written correspondence. Not fun being called a nuisance that requires elimination. I don't know how caring for and giving fair treatment to my chickens makes me such a nuisance. I also observe the guidelines for biosecurity to the absolute best of my ability, as do many backyard hobbyists. If I was forced to euthanize my chickens, I would comply, but I would likely do it myself so that I would know it was done with kindness - not by stomping or drowning or suffocating. I'd research a good way to do it, or have a vet come out and do it while CDFA was here. I do not want to add to the problem, but I also don't want to get blamed for it when I am not at fault. Painting with a broad brush and all that.
x2!

Back
Top Bottom