Visiting ducks?

Happypotter

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2019
FEAF1AA6-8C23-4342-956D-430B63CFA237.jpeg
Two ducks appeared outside of my duck coop 3 days ago after a big windy storm. They are a drake and hen mallards but I don’t know if they are domestic or wild? The hang out right around the perimeter of my ducks pen and seem content. They don’t eat the feed I have put out or any veggies or meal worms so that makes me think wild, but They waddle away from me just like my ducks do and just keep a certain distance, seems if they were wild they would leave or at least go to the pond at the back of our farm, I have seen them fly but not far, just a bit of lift and glide a bit . Should I worry for the health of mine? If they stay and appear healthy can I get them with my flock? Or just let them be? Thanks for any insight into this (picture of the visiting ducks )

5BE453ED-8A57-4546-AD0D-66BBAB310625.jpeg
CB564DE1-4A93-4DDD-8BA4-1022816D19DA.jpeg
0FB1ECC0-C201-49D7-90E7-6F544C050E48.jpeg
That’s a nice set up you have there. You know chicken wire keeps nothing out only poultry in?
So true! The main set up with the roof has electric fence around it and cattle panels that the chicken wire is on and they are in the sturdy coop that is on thick rubber stall mats on top of asphalt drive so nothing can dig into them in the sleeping coop and it’s close to our house , If I am not at the house they stay inside the main electrified area. I am getting the electric poultry fence so I can have a safer “ outdoor” area for them and allow for ease of moving it around the main structure to let areas rest if they kill the grass off, it’s a work in progress these are my first ducks and I have had them a year, my favorite thing I did was sink a 55 gal. Rubber maid tub into the ground( I have it in all the way to the top edge now, you can see the corner of it in the pic. I am feeding a duck in( McGee)other pic shows before I got the energy up to dig it out more, I drilled a hole in the bottom and put a shower drain in it and siliconed it up and attached 5 feet of 2” pvc pipe and it’s very easy to drain and clean , put pea gravel with landscape edging around it and have no issues with mud in the covered “ outdoor area” so far. The covered area is $199 car port I got at tractor supply and didn't use all the “height” poles, worked perfectly with the cattle panels and has been up a year now in all the strong winds and storms.

Back
Top Bottom