Visiting Rooster - what to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by xC0000005, Dec 4, 2009.

1. xC0000005

xC0000005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    I do not keep roosters, as I am in the heart of a suburban area and while there are a few chicken keepers around me I've never heard one crow...until a few days ago. A couple of my buff orpingtons have huge combs and I figured that one of them must finally have decided to come out of the closet and announce "herself" as a roo. Not so. On the back fence was perched a massive white rooster with a comb that arched back over his head. He was walking back and forth - doing the "strut". I never realized how far out those saddle feathers stick when they are showing off. My orps were lined up along the fence and when he'd do the crow they reacted like we would to a fireworks show. "Ooooh! Ahhhhh! Wowww!"

I went down to the fence but he was a smart boy - ran back and forth and I didn't have my coat hanger handy. Finally he got tired of me harassing him and took off straight across to a tree (we live on a hill - he didn't need to fly "up"). Anyone who tells me chickens can't fly hasn't spent any time with them. This one was huge but he had no trouble going to the tree. Or from the tree to the roof of the house down the hill. Or from that house to the next house. That's where I lost sight of him. Now my orps are very large and they can fly to the nest boxes with a lot of effort. This guy made it look easy. He's not ready to migrate south to mexico but this chicken crosses the road in the air, I suspect.

So now what? I do not wish to have the neighbors give me any grief over keeping a rooster. I suspect that he'll be back to visit my girls given time.

What would you do?

Catch him?
    Drive him off?
    Try to find an owner?
    In my house, Rooster is a common way to spell "dinner" but I'd feel bad eating someone else's pet boy.
    I don't eat the cats who wander into my yard, and I don't even like them. Apologies to cat lovers but let's do a little analysis:
    Chickens Produce:
    Eggs.
    Meat.

Bees produce:
    Honey.
    Pollen
    Wax.

Cats produce:
    Hair.

I can't cook cat hair up for breakfast. People don't buy cat hair for $16 a pound (or I'd have a new truck), and there's no nutritional benefit to cat hair.

Anyway - suggestions? Keeping a rooster is out of the question unless I could figure out a way to "De-crow" him (and I doubt such a procedure exists).
    I scouted the neighborhood and can't find anyone keeping stealth chickens (but by definition if they really are kept stealthily, I wouldn't know).

2. freemotion

freemotion Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Western MA
    Dinner.[​IMG]

3. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Definetly with dumplings.....You'll have to pressure cook to tenderize that WILD WINGED roo!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Do you think he is a leghorn?

You could make a nice cross... Leghorn X BO... and they'd be great layers....

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Let him be the rooster that's not. Not yours, just hangs around. You can feed him, let him romance your ladies, but when the complaints come, he's not yours.

Sorry, but I'm a rooster lover to the bone (and I'm not talking thigh bone here). [​IMG]

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:ditto. Enjoy his presence, let the girls enjoy his company, but his crowing is not your problem. [​IMG] (And BTW, I love all my girls for their unique and endearing personalities but I ADORE my roos! My heart still aches from losing my RIR Sarge this summer... )

7. cook_kaka_ook

cook_kaka_ook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2009
    Let him enjoy your BO girls' company. You'll have fertilized eggs, Now you don't have to buy for your next batch of hatch. Keep him until your neighbors can no longer ignore him. Next trip the pot. Just a suggestion lol.

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] I think its cute he came to visit your girls (are they old enough to be dating?)

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:You could learn to knit and make pretty purses with the cat hair!

10. waterpossum

waterpossum Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2009
    Waukomis
    i agree ...take advantage of his presence...especially if the girls are receptive to him...he might just come around enough to make sweet love and then be off again....he/s a rooster gigalo!! oh the life of a rooster!....as long as its outside the stewpot that is...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by