Viva Las Vegas!

duck creek love that place we have property up at Najoh lake estates my dad and daughter and dog spend the summers up there I almost sent the chickens too to get them out of the heat glad I did not as they had a bear come by and say hi one night.
Wow! That would be so scary! I love that mountain. We summer in Hatch, on over the mountain on scenic highway 89 heading north. I've seen lots of deer, some skunk (mostly smelled them to tell the truth) and very, very occasionally eagles and hawks.

Oh, forgot to mention...I did finally get the chickens home last weekend! Yay! It's an exhausting process but so glad to have them back and we all made it safely. Moulting is SERIOUSLY underway. I got a high of 8 eggs today. It's time to worm them. I do have a new layer though. My oldest pullet, Jilly, started laying a lovely little blue-green egg this past week. She hatched out the first week of April. Here is a pic of her from about a month ago, or so.

My chicken nugget aka little bite layed her first egg yesterday a little brown one. my 2 leghorns that went broody last week still have not started to lay yet again I borke them easy of broody but still not laying and my buff orphington lays on my desk for hour every day lays nothing but drops hers at night when on the roost with soft shell. dam birds I can only hold out for so long before I have to go buy some eggs.

Glad you got your girls back to vegas at least they get to enjoy some of the warm weather before it gets cold.

so what is everyones winter plans for there chicken coops here in vegas for me with having only 4 girls nights we hit freezing I will just bring them indoors. I did add some lights inside the coop so I can see my girls when I get off of work with out waking them up its soft lighting from lows bamboo sting lights with like chirstmas lights in them. I am not planning on adding heat but going to cover up the 2 front doors that just have hard wire on them and put a curtin over there window. I think i am going to keep the sand floor but in the next few weeks my dad and I are going to make some fancy nesting boxes and will put hey ro somthign in them so if they get cold they can get in there toeather and cuddle up. I cant find heated water bowls so still on the look out localy for those if not find soon will have to order them online.

My chicken nugget aka little bite layed her first egg yesterday a little brown one. my 2 leghorns that went broody last week still have not started to lay yet again I borke them easy of broody but still not laying and my buff orphington lays on my desk for hour every day lays nothing but drops hers at night when on the roost with soft shell. dam birds I can only hold out for so long before I have to go buy some eggs.

Glad you got your girls back to vegas at least they get to enjoy some of the warm weather before it gets cold.

Congrats on the new layer. What breed is she? Mine is a mix of beardless EE and Splash Copper Marans. I guess his dark brown egg genes were just as defunct as her beard genes. Well, she's pretty at least and so far has been laying every day. Wow! Broody leghorns. You don't hear of that very much. Good job breaking them. I totally feel your pain on the egg count, or rather lack of eggs. I got 4 tonight from way too many hens. I guess I ought to finish culling the older ones that are molting so I have less mouths to feed. Yes, I'm glad I got them back when I did. My aunt told me it was in the 20s night before last. Brrrrr! So glad our "cold front" is only in the 60s.

so what is everyones winter plans for there chicken coops here in vegas for me with having only 4 girls nights we hit freezing I will just bring them indoors. I did add some lights inside the coop so I can see my girls when I get off of work with out waking them up its soft lighting from lows bamboo sting lights with like chirstmas lights in them. I am not planning on adding heat but going to cover up the 2 front doors that just have hard wire on them and put a curtin over there window. I think i am going to keep the sand floor but in the next few weeks my dad and I are going to make some fancy nesting boxes and will put hey ro somthign in them so if they get cold they can get in there toeather and cuddle up. I cant find heated water bowls so still on the look out localy for those if not find soon will have to order them online.

Winter plans....hmmmm. Well, when it gets colder we put up the sides on the chicken coop. I must get photos one of these days so you can see what I mean. We still have plenty of ventilation, that goes all around the top, but we cover the northwest side to block the wind. The block wall on the other side seems to do a fair job for that direction. I bought some grapevines and a pomegranate tree to plant in their run. That could get interesting. I haven't done anything about water heaters. I just keep my buckets full and have never had a problem. Sometimes I'll give them warm mash or oatmeal in the morning but usually I just offer plenty of scratch and they keep warm with body heat in the coop. We do have a light in there but haven't used for about 2 years. In fact, it may need fixing. As for the floor, sand would be quite cold in the winter. Max mentioned a place to get mulch rather cheaply several pages back. I know I pasted it on the community page. That would be a good choice for a coop floor for winter, well, what I'm gonna do anyways. I work hard to discourage sleeping in the nests so I gotta make other options available.

These four fluffy butts are the product of my first hatch of the fall season. Their Daddy is a big ole Black Copper Marans while ones Momma is also a BCM then theres another thats a product of a Golden Cuckoo Marans hen and finally two who's mommas are Easter Eggers. Any insight on who's whose momma?

Max

Anyone got any Silkies here in Vegas? My wife and Granddaughter are on a mission to find 1 or 2.
I found this on Craigslist. I pasted the info here but you'll need to go to the ad to see the pictures. Good luck!

1 GOLDEN BEIGE SHOWGIRL ROOSTER LEFT! I have 2 beautiful black with silver collars silkie roosters , 1 champagne silkie roo and 1 partridge roo. .I will have more silkie hens when I can tell what the chicks are going to be . I will also have more in the spring. I will only sell the remaining hens with a rooster..
These birds are from champion bloodlines, such as CJ' Silkies, Blue Ridge Silkies and Watson Ridge. I have all colors including partridge, cuckoo, blues and paints. They all are bearded and fluff balls!! They are all gentle and will make wonderful pets. They are for sale to good homes only. .the hens are going for $20 a piece. The Silkie roosters are $10.00 a piece and the Showgirl roosters are $10.00 a piece. Call 702-376-4236 THESE ARE NOT MIXED BIRDS.... CLL 376-4236

Your babies are adorable. Mine from you and Holly31 are growing like weeds. Their combs are starting to fill out but they still look pullet-y and not yet hen-ish. I ended up with an all black, clean-faced, and feather-legged pullet, another clean-faced, all black pullet with a touch of gold around the neck and face an a little bit of leg-feathering, and a pullet with bold gold lacing around her neck and a brownish black body with no feathering on her green legs.

Thanks for the information! When your ready for eggs again be sure to holler. I plan on culling my roosters down to just one BCM and one GCM roo. That plan may get a little hiccup in the form of a granddaughter who's current favorite chicken is the big white cochin roo but we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom