Viva Las Vegas!

I have a question! I have an EE that has been slow to start laying, her sister started about a month ago. Now, I know the eggs start off small and get bigger as the hen matures and her body adjusts, BUT

I was not expecting this! She is laying about once a week, maybe. All four or five eggs have been this big. They are literally the size of a grape!
Is this normal? Should I be worried? She acts fine.
Thanks for any input.
Ricki

Try feeding her some cucumbers. The digested fluid content will help increase the egg size. Ya know, those old wives and their tales were onto something.....

I will try that. They are the cutest little things but really! LOL we just laugh when she lays one. It's been about a month and she's still not laying regularly.

Hi,

I'm new to the Vegas group. I have a buff Orpington hen about a 1.5 old that I want to place. She is a poor layer imo (about 2-3 eggs a week average) and she is grumpy most of the time. She doesnt like to be touched and squawks alot during the day. Right now she is living in a 7'x13' run with a barred rock hen and two autralorp pullets and either she isn't happy or ? but my son is ready to kill her for all the noise she makes during the day. I'm fine with the egg song but since she doesn't lay much, her egg song must be by memory only.

Ive been told that she is not typical of most Orpingtons (she is my first one) so maybe I got a dud. Ive only had her for about 3 months. I'd like to find her a home where she is appreciated for her breed and not for her egg quality. When she does lay, her eggs are a nice pretty brown color.

Barb

Hello all! I am in the process of ordering a coop and was looking into acquiring chicks/pullets in the Vegas area. I live on the far Northwest side, but don't have a problem driving a while to pick something up. I have a 800 sq foot back yard with vinyl fencing (5 ft at the lowest) and my only preferences as far as breed type, were something not noisy(I live in a neighborhood) and something heat tolerant. If anybody in town is looking to sell chicks/pullets, please let me know. Additionally, if anybody has had any experiences, positive or negative, with ordering chicks from mypetchicken.com, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Is anyone else in the south end of town? I'm near 15 and Blue Diamond, have 7 dogs, 2 foster dogs, one goat, 5 bantam hens, a RIR hen, a jungle fowl hen and one big rooster, but I have 30 chicks on the way this week! Would love to meet others in Vegas who keep livestock!
Tiffany

Hi,

I'm over at the base of Summerlin. I don't have any pullets but I was going to suggest unless you are looking for purebred stock, I would get some chickens from Craigslist and see if this is something you want to do. Although the price of the actual chick is cheap online, to ship them overnight is not. I think Mypetchicken charges $40.00. As of my reply to you 9-18-13 there are 2 leghorn pullets and someone was looking to place 4 hens and two roosters. I also contacted someone over the weekend who had 5 week old chicks for $4.00 each. She does not know how to sex the chicks unfortunately so you would be taking a chance on pullets to cockrels. I was looking for older pullets so I decided not to get chicks from her.

The one drawback to getting hens on Craigslist is you really dont know the actual age as people may not be the most honest. Or in my case one of the hens I purchased is not a good layer and is quite grumpy. I purchased my 2 Australorps from CL from someone in Pahrump. She had spent a lot of time with them and they are friendly. They are now about 3.5 months old.

I also met someone from CL that had purebred Orpingtons. Not sure she has chickens for sale right now.

Just some suggestions for you.

Barb

Hi Tiff! I'm over that way too. At the moment (chicken math) I have 5 4month hens and 5 4month roos. They are blue and black Orps. That should be changing soon, I know I have to get rid of some boys. Still waiting on eggs. This is my first flock. Have you had chickens for a while?

I have not. But I run a rescue so Ive had just about every other kind of pet. Should you hear of anyone who has pullets for sale, I am looking to getting another one.

Barb

Back
Top Bottom