chickenchicklady

Songster
Apr 23, 2019
I went to feed my chicks leftover watermelon and I noticed one of my chickens vomited black vomit. Any suggestions? I can’t find any other threads on this?! I’m worried it’s a sickness that will affect my entire flock! That particular one is about 3 months old. I didn’t notice any of them acting weird.

What have you been feeding that might account for the black color? Any vegetation in their range that has dark berries? How about a compost pile where rotted food is tossed? Is there a place where fireplace ashes have been disposed of that the chickens have access to?

How is this pullet behaving? Is she lethargic, wings held slightly away from her body, and is she making neck gyrations? What does the vomit smell like? Sour, sweet, perhaps like roadkill?

I can’t think of anything that would account for the dark color. They have had beet greens, watermelon, carrot tops, and bell peppers. That’s about it. Other than they, maybe they got ahold of some weeds that I didn’t catch in time?

I can go out and try to get a picture. But it was into pine shavings, so I might have to wait until I can catch her again and it might be a little difficult. There are dandelions in the run that they snack on, id have to smell it when she puked again to see how it smelled. She isn’t behaving odd. No lethargy, no other symptoms that you mentioned. She ran straight to me when I gave the watermelon. No fireplace ashes, no berries etc.

I did feed them grapes.. a few days ago. I just went and checked and they’re all doing fine... but I see this and IDK if it’s black chicken poop or if it came from the other end.

Attachments

• 7A5EA473-FD80-4F2A-A950-BFCBDA66C547.jpeg
    7A5EA473-FD80-4F2A-A950-BFCBDA66C547.jpeg
    879.9 KB · Views: 5
If you have identified the chicken that vomited, feel her crop now. Then check it again in the morning to be sure it's not still full. We want to be sure she isn't coming down with a crop yeast infection. I have a pullet the same age with a sour crop right at the moment. She's vomiting sour liquid every so often. It began yesterday, and I started treating her for it today.

Back
Top Bottom