Vote for the best brown layer!!!

Which is the most balanced, profitable and sustainable layer of brown eggs for a homestead?

• rhode island red

• black australorp

• light sussex

• delaware

• white plymouth rock

• barred plymouth rock

• new hamshire

• silver laced wyandotte

• golden laced wyandotte

• welsummer

• black copper marans FL

• blue plymouth rock

• light columbian plymouth rock

• light columbian wyandotte

• black jersey giant

• black langshan FL

• black orpington

• buff orpington

• chocolate orpington

• bielefelder

Results are only viewable after voting.
Eggs won't ever be as large,but that is the trade off for having a nearly non stop layer. Knock on wood but iv'e never had any reproductive issues with the doms either. I think the consistent medium egg size is easier on them.:)
How are their eggs? I have a Dominique hen and I like her but her eggs aren't as large as my RIR.

If you're looking for a purebred chicken that will live and lay longer, then go with the RIR's, but if want a chicken that's a better more profitable egglayer, usually even laying through winter, then the sexlinks are the way to go.

I have discussed it many times with many people.
In some countries, chicken feed contains GMO products.
So farmers grow their own chicken scratch and try to raise their chickens with scratch.
A red sex link lays nothing with scratch, because every rsl is designed to need high-density feed.
A light sussex, a black australorp produces much better when given only chicken scratch.

I have discussed it many times with many people.
In some countries, chicken feed contains GMO products.
So farmers grow their own chicken scratch and try to raise their chickens with scratch.
A red sex link lays nothing with scratch, because every rsl is designed to need high-density feed.
A light sussex, a black australorp produces much better when given only chicken scratch.

Interesting... however your original question is just about the type of chicken, so it assumes all other variables are equal... if all of these different chickens lived in the same climate in the same house with the same feed and same water and same hours of daylight, which would lay the most eggs, for the most of the year, for the most number of years, and produce the best laying offspring, etc.

Interesting... however your original question is just about the type of chicken, so it assumes all other variables are equal... if all of these different chickens lived in the same climate in the same house with the same feed and same water and same hours of daylight, which would lay the most eggs, for the most of the year, for the most number of years, and produce the best laying offspring, etc.

AGREE, AGREE, AGREE, YOU JUST MADE THE MOST IMPORTANT COMMENT.

Why on Earth do you have White Leghorns as a poll option?
upload_2018-10-31_11-46-25.png

Back
Top Bottom