Vote on chickens I should take to show -it's for experience, they're all "bad" but I would love help

Which chicken would you choose for show? (I'll show the top two)

• Welsummer Hen

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Andalusian Hen

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Naked Neck Hen

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Bantam Ameraucana

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Bantam Shamo

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Buff Brahma Hen

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Speckled Sussex Hen

Votes: 9 28.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ATeacherChick

Chirping
Feb 9, 2018
PLEASE don't send hate my way if I am breaking some purist poultry show-er law:bow. I have no fantasies of grandeur. Just a chicken girl trying to step up her poultry game a little ;)
Disclaimer done...here goes:
I am entering a few of my chickens in two shows in Florida this January/February. I want to buy "real stock" this coming Spring, but I haven't picked my breed yet. I want to kill two birds with one stone with these shows - gain experience for the 2020 shows when hopefully I'll have "real" show chickens, to see breeds in person to help me make a final choice, and also meet people selling them.
I only have hatchery imitations of breeds, but I was hoping someone would tell me 2-3 of them that look the "least bad". I know they aren't like the purposefully bred show chickens. Please, please, don't reply just to tell me how bad my chickens are. They're one-year-old hatchery imitations, I just want to pick the best 2-3 chickens of what I have so I can say I tried on some level. I need help with this though, if anyone wants to be kind...
This is what I have (you may have to click attachments):

Welsummer Hen
Welsum1.jpg

Welsum2.jpg

BANTAM AMERAUCANA HEN
AmeriHen.jpg

AmeriHen1.jpg

AmeriHen2.jpg

ANDALUSIAN HEN
AndyHen.jpg

Andyhen1.jpg

SPECKLED SUSSEX HEN
SpeckledSuss.jpg

BANTAM SHAMO BLACK - HEN
ShamoBantam.jpg

shamoBantam1.jpg

BUFF BRAHMA HEN - But she's a little small I think???
Brahma1.jpg

Brahma2.jpg

NAKED NECK HEN
NN Hen.JPG

I'm definitely showing my Welsummer rooster just because he's my favorite, so he's technically not in the running. Just including him in the list.
WellyRooster.jpg

Attachments

• WellyRooster.jpg
    WellyRooster.jpg
    712.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN0283.JPG
    DSCN0283.JPG
    513.1 KB · Views: 4
Thanks! I did try with the standards, and that is how I narrowed it down to these guys...the problem becomes I am just too inexperienced to differentiate "moderately feathered shanks" from "tightly feathered" and/or what it means when it specifies "defined thighs" :p
I know nothing about the standard, but I think your buff brahma is very pretty and looks like the pics I've seen describing the breed. Handsome roo, too. You might want to look up the SOPs online to get a sense of what they'll be judged on.

APA show? Your bantam AM is an EE, just an FYI... means there's no developed colour pattern matching your bird. I'm not up on their standards, but the Brahma is my favourite. She looks to have a pretty face, decent feathering, and no shafting, which is a pet peeve of mine. The SS has mottling sub-par to others I've seen, so I'd imagine you would get several more points cut there; and I'm not sure on the Shamo because they're so different from my chosen breeds. Also, is it just me or does your wellie have a slight wry tail? Good luck!! :thumbsup

Edited to add: your rooster is gorgeous.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom