Vulture Hocks

MoodyChicken

Songster
10 Years
Feb 15, 2009
Northern California
Need some clarification. Vulture hocks are reccessive, but are the foot feathers a part of the vulture hocks or feathered feet? I know feathered feet is a dominant trait. I want to cross a Frizzled Mille Fleur d'Uccle to a Black Modern Game to get Frizzled Moderns, and hopefully Mille Fleur Moderns in the future too. But if the vulture hocks trait only applis to the stiff feathers on the hock and not the feet feathers, than that might complicate things. Do you understand what I mean? I'd already have to breed out the muffs and beard trait, I don't want to have to try to get rid of feathered legs too!

The goal is a frizzled modern game? I assume you're using the d'uccle because you already have one?

There are two or three genes for foot feathering. Not sure if any are linked to vulture hocks. But you're not likely to get abundant foot feathering in hte cross--some, yes, but it will be less than the d'uccle's. Vulture hocks on a modern game would be hysterical
big_smile.png

How about trying to find a frizzled, non-bearded polish? The the only thing you'll have to breed out is the crest.

Last edited:
Chose a d'Uccle cause 1 my friend has one and he'll just go missing for a while when I need him lol, 2 I want a Mille Fleur Modern too, 3 they have surprisingly long legs which would cross better to a Modern, and 4 their sickle feathers aren't as curved

lol.png
Yes, Vulture Hocks on a Modern would be HILARIOUS! I might have to try that too. lol.

Hm, not a bad idea. But the Polish have short legs and really curved sickles. Don't think that would work too well. Plus they're big, even as a bantam.

I don't think vulture hocks are linked to any of the feathered shank genes. Well not in my experience.

It seems that Dunn & Jull (1927) & Jull & Quinn (1931) noticed a relationship between the traits in crosses. Danforth (1927) suggested the connection could be that vulture hocks might need the genetic factors for feathered shanks in order to express itself. (Info from Poultry Breeding & Genetics, Crawford)
I've had a bit of experience of vulture hocks & Danforth's explanation could make sense because I never had them crop up in non feather shanked birds.

Back
Top Bottom