Vultures and pastures

I've talked to the EPD and all they can do, is come and look at the stream and suggest to him to put up barriers to keep it from going into the stream.

We're hoping that the Agricultural Department will become involved and do something, but from what I hear - it's a hard issue to press.

What I'd like to know from someone who composts poultry is what is their thinking about this? When it is done correctly, would you have vultures feeding and would you see dead chicken feet and legs, etc.?

And I'm positive, it's not one or two dead chickens. This has got to be coming from poultry houses where they have lots of dead chickens that they put into a compost heap, only I don't think they are composting it correctly.

It's definitely not hog waste. I've smelled that before. And did you see that foot?
ep.gif

Yes I saw the foot, how many feet are you seeing? Is your neighbor bringing the compost in from another source? It could be your neighbor is a contract dumping source for poultry farms.

Does Georgia have a air quality board of some sort? If so that may your next stop. Arrange ahead of time to have the department visit the next time your neighbor brings in a load of waste.

Also take a soil sample to your local AG board to see if more than animal bi-products are being dumped on your neighbors land and if the quantity dumped is allowable.

If you are on a well, take a water sample in for testing to ensure the dumped material is not affecting your well water.

I don't go out in the pasture. It is just too nasty.

As for how many feet - I don't have a clue. You can just see the vultures eating the stuff and of course it smells like the worst case of roadkill on a hot summer night, you've ever smelled.

Only you can't drive past it!

Thanks for everyone's replies.

I'll let you know if I get anywhere with this!

I may have missed it but is this happenning in the city or in the country? If it is rural I am not surprised and not surprised if the officials do nothing more than check it out.

Back
Top Bottom