Vultures?

Popcorntheduck

Chirping
Aug 23, 2019
Do I need to worry about vultures going after my duck? I’ve tried looking this up but I can’t get a confident answer, I’m not sure if they’re black vultures or turkey vultures or what the difference is really. The ones I’m talking about are circling high up in the sky and there’s often quite a few of them! I was out in my back yard today with my duck and 3 dogs, Popcorn was in the stream and the dogs were running around and I looks up to see at least 15 vultures circling above, some coming quite low.
From my understanding they only go after dead things, but they were making me uneasy today. Popcorn is always watching them, and will sometimes take cover. When he’s out in the yard with me he won’t go too far from me anyways, but I just want to know how on guard I have to be!
Thanks! Pics cause he’s so handsome

Attachments

• 18B5FD42-59BD-49B3-82BE-C12B31AB6A5B.jpeg
    18B5FD42-59BD-49B3-82BE-C12B31AB6A5B.jpeg
    928.5 KB · Views: 43
  • B83D63B8-C1DC-426C-B198-9F54DFC7C2F4.jpeg
    B83D63B8-C1DC-426C-B198-9F54DFC7C2F4.jpeg
    944.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 3E3A906D-9FFC-43C2-A32F-DE2ACBEFEDC5.jpeg
    3E3A906D-9FFC-43C2-A32F-DE2ACBEFEDC5.jpeg
    912.2 KB · Views: 21
He is handsome! Love your setup!
Vultures are carrion eaters and aren’t really equipped to catch or kill healthy animals. Ducks are naturally very wary of all things in the sky so it’s good that he keeps an eye on them and hides when he’s scared.
Thank you!!
That’s what I thought! He’s always got his eyes on the airplanes too, so I know it’s just anything in the sky really. My last duck was killed by a hawk, so I’m definitely always extra cautious.

I have heard that black vultures will sometimes kill vulnerable animals, but I have never heard that about Turkey Vultures. Turkey vultures have a red head and neck, black vultures have a black head and neck. Young turkey vultures also have a dark head and neck but they have feathers on the neck while the adults of both types are naked neck and head.

I also heard that the black vultures have gone after live animals but can’t remember where I read about it. We have both the black and turkey vultures around our house too, but I only worry about them with the mommas and their babies. My guineas go insane when they are circling low so I know to run out to check on the flock with my Pellet gun. I’m not a great shot but it’s enough to get them away from my babies ;)

Back
Top Bottom