Waiting for the $1000 eggs 🥴

from my experience, Ayam cemanis don't lay alot of eggs to begin with then they go broody.

ayaa.PNG

I always try and talk people out of them, but they are so pretty, I just hatched 3 more.
5i.PNG

from my experience, Ayam cemanis don't lay alot of eggs to begin with then they go broody.

View attachment 3348007

I always try and talk people out of them, but they are so pretty, I just hatched 3 more.
View attachment 3348008
You’re right, they aren’t great egg layers for me either. I got 1 egg every other day from each hen in the summer, less now. I had one out of five go broody and hatch some of her clutch, then she tried it again about 2 months ago, but I nipped that in the bud by taking the eggs this time 🤠 Your munchkin is adorbs 🥰

Side note real quick - do any of you all have any like picture number 4? Pictures 3 and 4 (Pink and Wewe) are from the same hatch, but Wewe ALWAYS looks half asleep. When she gets excited her eyes open up, but half asleep is her usual look. Normal? Thank you.

My June chicks just started laying. One was at 23 weeks, one was 24 weeks, the third just started 26 weeks. Still waiting on the rest. I’m surprised and pleased to get eggs before the solstice!
Nice, so it’s right around the corner for me. How many are you waiting on - are they all the same age? Excuse my ignorance on this, but whats the significance with getting eggs before the solstice? Thanks!

Nice, so it’s right around the corner for me. How many are you waiting on - are they all the same age? Excuse my ignorance on this, but whats the significance with getting eggs before the solstice? Thanks!
Daylight shortening begins in the summer solstice and the shortest day is the winter solstice. Hens need about 14 hours of daylight a day to lay, if they reach laying age( or close to it ) When they days are shorter, they usually don't lay until after the solstice, when the days lengthen.

When they days are shorter, they usually don't lay until after the solstice, when the days lengthen.
...and likely before we get to 14 hours of daylight.
Whether the daylight is increasing or decreasing can be more important than the total day length.

@Tumbleweedlynn this might help explain the pelvic bones spread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
Comparing bones and vent appearance on all your pullets can be a really good learning exercise.

Back
Top Bottom