Wake/bedtimes ?

Ponyiqandhens2

Songster
Nov 5, 2022
South Louisiana
Ok, this is gonna sound odd.

My chickens range from almpst 2 years old to 10 days old. They live a free range life, roosting under the extended roof the covers a conctete ares,they roost here, a few loners roost on front porch. It is not unusual for my young 5-6 week old hatchery birds,mt light brahma -8months old, my spangled old english bantam who is almost always broody and 2 patridge cochin bantams about5-6 months old..it is not unusual to find them up and out bug hunting at 345-4 am,still very dark.. if the youngsters go to far, the homeless game rooster that moved in,gets up and goes to hang out, basically acting as chaperone... snowbird the brahma, goes to bed 1st of all the chickens with the main flock,but when i go outside in the wee hours of the morning she comes outof the nesting box on the front porch which she does not lay in them
The youngsters go to bed very late ( they have been resting in the shade much of the day due to heat...
I dont think thos is normal

Yes, it's normal. I have a few chickens which come out to the front and back porch lights in the wee hours of the morning to feast on June bugs, months and geckos, setting off the ring doorbell and popping me out of bed like a heavily armed jack-in-the-box. We live out in the country so anything setting off the perimeter alarms used to mean something's afoot; nocturnal chicken snacking still elicits a response.

Yes, it's normal. I have a few chickens which come out to the front and back porch lights in the wee hours of the morning to feast on June bugs, months and geckos, setting off the ring doorbell and popping me out of bed like a heavily armed jack-in-the-box. We live out in the country so anything setting off the perimeter alarms used to mean something's afoot; nocturnal chicken snacking still elicits a response.
I live in the country and work with livestock, i leave home around 430 am.. so they hear all the activity in the house..well at least my chickens are normal country chickens

Back
Top Bottom