Walking the... uh... Chicken?

Quote:
I think we all need to see a picture of this!!
tongue.png

Not to butt in and jack but my wife told me she had a dream last night. She said I was walking my chickens down our street, all on leashes. She said it reminded her of the old man walking all the dogs in the movie Moonstruck. We all stopped to cluck at the moon.

Bill

I'm not an old man.

Sure. Go ahead and laugh. A lot of people do this, though. Alright. I only have one more problem. She's used to the harness (which camouflages itself under her feathers), she's good with the leash (sort of), now all I need is a good treat to lead her in the right direction. I've tried everything in my house, but nothing seems to work. She just ignores the treat. I tied it to a string and dangled it right in front of her, but no reaction. I need a good treat that she will react to. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Try finding one treat she just loves. Then do not feed it to her at anytime unless training. (strawberries might work) show her the treat, walk a a step and reward, you can slowly increase the walking steps before treat reward.

Strawberries? Never thought of that... although... they do eat some strange stuff. One time, I was in the compost area, eating a few mozzarella sticks, when I dropped a half eaten one, and Anonymous (one of my white rocks) just ran up and snatched it. Then she ran off, and then the other hens started to run after her.

I don't know about walking them but I saw an episode of speeders (hey it was better than infomercials) where this guy got pulled over and inside his truck was his pet chicken. While the cop was writing up a warning for him the man was talking to the camera people and the chicken laid an egg right there on his console!!! I don't think walking them would be a big deal if you can tote one around in your car and it be happy enough to lay eggs along the ride.
gig.gif

I run a summer camp at my farm (www.sangaparties.com) and this summer I have begrudgingly decided to let the kids in my coop.. In the past I've always been far too protective over my feathered friends to let insolent little city kids near them. Well, much to my suprise, my nursery (The baby pen.. we have maybe 30 assorted purebred hatchery chicks all 5 to 8 weeks old) took right to the kids. Now every day, for 4 or 5 hours a day, the kids feed them treats and the baby chickens literaly wait at the door for the kids. They perch on the kids heads, arms, shoulders... backs. They talk to the kids and alert them when they find something tasty. I swear the chicks are even teaching the kids to scratch in the dirt and dust bath. Chickens have some strange behavior when left to their own devices.

Back
Top Bottom