Walnut comb on silkie - indicate roo? PHOTOS!!!

Apomerantz

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
Washington
I have a 7ish week old buff silkie. It is has a walnut comb that is larger then my other chick's combs and is a dark redish/black color. Does this indicate roo? It has a nice little puff of feathers on the head and looks pretty pullet-ish, but the comb is worrying me. It also has a crooked beak, so I wanted to keep it as a pet hen, can't if it is a roo
sad.png

Amy

Last edited:
I don't have a good picture that you can see the comb in yet, but I will try to take some. I won't be able to keep him if he is a roo. Do people buy silkie roos as pets or therapy chickens? He is a SUCH a sweetheart and because of he crooked beak he wouldn't be a breeding male.
Amy

It sounds like a roo. You can try to rehome him but if he has a cross beak you are probably going to have a hard time finsing someone to take him. Sorry
sad.png

My chick's comb looks like your roo's comb
sad.png
His head looks so feminine that I thought he was a pullet until the comb developed. I will post a picture later, I have to get to alpaca shearing right now!
Amy

I'm so soory to say but thats a Boy.
sad.png

If you look under his lower beak you may even be able to see TINY little wattles coming out.

I would totally take him but I live in Mesa, AZ. I lost my Sweet Little Jay Bird at a young age. He had a crooked beak just like your little boy.

Shoot! I was so hoping he would be a girl, so I could keep him. I am going to ask around, maybe I can find someone to take him. I live in Seattle area, so it will have to be someone local.
Amy

Back
Top Bottom