want a tip that will make your hens lay like its spring in the winter

Just a thought, perhaps someone in a cold climate could test it this winter.

Asian grocery stores often sell red chili powder in large bags for pretty cheap. I bought a huge bag of it while we were in Aurora, CO this summer at a Korean store. I don't remember how much it was (I think it's a 5 or 10lb bag, I forgot to check when I was in the pantry), but I know it was cheaper per pound than the cayenne I buy at Sam's in the large plastic jars.

If the red chili powder works as well as the cayenne, that might be a cheaper way to buy it for some of you

I will try it on my pullets who are 15 weeks now. How much do you put in their feed? how many table spoon?

Quote:
I guess I don't know how much colder climate you are looking for. The OP and I both live in Alaska.
hide.gif

Quote:
I guess I don't know how much colder climate you are looking for. The OP and I both live in Alaska.
hide.gif

I just moved from Fairbanks in July
sad.png

I meant someone in a colder climate than where I am now (Alabama), plus I won't have laying aged chicks this winter. It was just a thought, LOL, didn't mean anyone specifically
tongue.png

Quote:
I would also like a little more clarity on qty of pepper to give, also is this only a winter thing or all year long?

I mix 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper per cup of feed. Any of the hot peppers will do. But not the black peppercorns they're a different type of plant.
ETA: I prefer to mix it with crumbles, and add water for a wet mash. The chickens gobble this up like it's a huge treat.

In the summer, we toss them garden refuse of peppers - jalapeno, hot banana, anaheim, cayenne that are damaged.

1/2 tsp of cayenne added to 1/2 cup buttermilk or yogurt is good for diarrhea.

Hot pepper like Cayenne is high in vitamins C and A. It helps to protect the intestines from damage due to bacteria and protozoa and has some bactericidal and protozoan suppression qualities. It acts as a tonic. It's also a natural dewormer.

The active ingredient is capsaicin. According to herbal remedies, when taken internally capsaicin can warm the body, raise metabolism, improve weak digestion and increase circulation. All of these improved body functions aide in laying.

I feed it year round, generally once a week or two weeks, except on 90+ degree Summer days. (Not desirable to warm the body on hot days.)

I ALWAYS feed it to any birds that are feeling poorly - to improve body functions as noted above. I feed 1/2 tsp pepper per cup of feed for shipped chicks to reduce pasty butt.

heres the ratio

Will adding cayenne help my hens lay larger eggs?

Also, another awesome use for cayenne is a paint additive for outdoor structures like coops. Keeps away woodpeckers, ants & termites. We had a terrible time with both termites and woodpeckers before a friend recommended adding cayenne pepper to the stain we used on the barn & coop. I suppose it may add a little color or texture to white paint, but the pepper is disguised by almost any other color.

Last edited:
Quote:
Ooooo, THANK YOU! I'm almost to that stage with my tractor! I should be painting it this weekend (unless I just leave this one unfinished)

wondering if this will work to get a hen to start, that is really really close. Plus, our temps have been in the 80's in the day, but in50's at night. cool enough to try it yet?

Back
Top Bottom