1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Want quail for meat. How should I start?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by thegreatfandango, Aug 23, 2011.

1. thegreatfandango

thegreatfandango Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Want quail as a backyard meat animal + eggs. What breed, how old, how many, space requirements?

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    if you are wanting for meat/eggs...there is only one more question, you want white meat or dark.

Texas A&Ms for white
    Jumbo Coturnix for dark

both birds have the ability to lay eggs all year, and get very nice size for meat production, there is a sticky at the top of the quail forum you should really check it out, it goes in depth about taking care of coturnix.

3. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:Sorry man, no white meat on a coturnix... Not A&M's either... No coturnix have white meat... only white feathers....Bill

4. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I raised coturnix for meat. I rotated my stock every 10 weeks. I would get a coupla weeks of laying so I could gather eggs for incubating, then keep about 6 for eggs until the next batch was old enough to lay, then rotated. For eating, My dd and I would eat one, and the guys would eat two each. so when I butchered, I packaged them at 6 in a pack. Space requiements, I owuld keep about 8 in a 2'x2' enclosure. In winter, I would put more in so hey could keep each other warm.

5. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Sorry man, no white meat on a coturnix... Not A&M's either... No coturnix have white meat... only white feathers....Bill

X2

6. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Bobwhites for the 'ultimate white meat'. BUT, if you do your homework on what's involved in Bobs vs. Cots, ya gotta REALLY want to invest a lot of time & $$$ in the Bobs to reap the ejoyment of the 'ultimate white meat'....... That's MY opinion... [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL

X2

X3 [​IMG]

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:THAT AINT NO LIE!!!

9. _Randall_

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms

10. _Randall_

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms

But, boy when they're on that plate, you can have'ya Ribeye........... [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by