Want to get on list for 2015 peacock eggs

Sorry but you can not bleach a bird so i ain't going
lau.gif
LOL to many things that a bird can carry and seem just fine , i will remain a chicken
D.gif

The quarantine pen was for the bird, the bleach was for the shoes silly!
lau.gif
I am picking up a new hen today, she will be penned by herself for at least 4 weeks, during which time she will be wormed twice, have the preventative dose of corid in her water, and close observation of her and her poop.

In all seriousness, we have cocci and capillaria in our ground here, Kathy has Blackhead in her soil, KKB has cocci and round worms in his, we all have something... as do probably all Peafowl breeders. The key is learning to treat what may show up, I doubt you are any more likely to pick up a bird with one of these diseases from an auction than you are from a reputable breeder as we cannot cleanse our soil of these things, we can only treat the birds and keep them alive long enough to develop a resistance. I know your flock is very young, but eventually you will need to bring in some new blood, so you will need to risk it sooner or later.

Well said Mindy! I have an isolation cage just for new purchases too. I also give the full gambit of meds to make sure any new arrival is clean and healthy before letting it assimilate into the flock. My biggest regret is that I did not start this procedure sooner, perhaps I would not have had the problems I did. I have a handle on it now and all is good and with properly applied medications it will stay that way. And so many thanks to the help I receive here, it's like coming out of a dark tunnel.

At this point i have so many running free there would be no way to keep them away from a quarantined birds, i do have some silvers coming soon but i just would be afraid of birds that i did not know where they came from or how they were cared for.

As far as blood lines i am set ,these silvers will give me 5 lines, i have chosen my keepers and sence they can live 20 years or more won't be in need fresh of a fresh bloodline
wink.png

At this point i have so many running free there would be no way to keep them away from a quarantined birds, i do have some silvers coming soon but i just would be afraid of birds that i did not know where they came from or how they were cared for.

As far as blood lines i am set ,these silvers will give me 5 lines, i have chosen my keepers and sence they can live 20 years or more won't be in need fresh of a fresh bloodline
wink.png

And you're positive you will Never, Ever decide you want one of these Fancy new colors they are always coming up with????
droolin.gif

I am sure,
wink.png
it is blue, pieds , whites and silvers only , thought about bronze or opal but i do not want to pen my birds so i have decided to stay with blue varieties and let you folks work on all those pretty new colors,if i was younger it might be different but i am pushing 60 and IMO it is a little late as my frame work ain't what it use to be.
old.gif

I am sure,
wink.png
it is blue, pieds , whites and silvers only , thought about bronze or opal but i do not want to pen my birds so i have decided to stay with blue varieties and let you folks work on all those pretty new colors,if i was younger it might be different but i am pushing 60 and IMO it is a little late as my frame work ain't what it use to be.
old.gif

Just curious, when you sell Peas how do you go about catching them for the buyers? Are you able to catch them by hand or do you need to lure them into a pen and then catch them? I can walk right up to my incubated babies and pick them up, but the hen hatched ones are wild and require netting, can't imagine trying to catch them if they were free ranging.

Just curious, when you sell Peas how do you go about catching them for the buyers?

A little off topic, but at LOL moment, I replied to a Craigslist ad this last spring for some 'free' in need of re-homing adult breeding aged peas... The guy had several pictures of them in pens in his barn...

The guy emails me back and says I'm welcome to stop by anytime and go find them in the woods and catch them myself, he says he kicked them out of his barn as soon as the snow broke and they were not welcome back... Needless to say I didn't bother going on a pea hunt...

Last edited:
Just curious, when you sell Peas how do you go about catching them for the buyers? Are you able to catch them by hand or do you need to lure them into a pen and then catch them? I can walk right up to my incubated babies and pick them up, but the hen hatched ones are wild and require netting, can't imagine trying to catch them if they were free ranging.
I can catch the ones i hatched by hand , they are the only ones for sale now unless someone really wants an older white peacock then i will have to lur him in the pen ahead of time cause i can't catch him without a net, he is a wild thang when traped

When i got folks coming i just open the pen and let the peas walk inside then when the buyer gets here they can pick what they want from the pen.

Last edited:
A little off topic, but at LOL moment, I replied to a Craigslist ad this last spring for some 'free' in need of re-homing adult breeding aged peas... The guy had several pictures of them in pens in his barn...

The guy emails me back and says I'm welcome to stop by anytime and go find them in the woods and catch them myself, he says he kicked them out of his barn as soon as the snow broke and they were not welcome back... Needless to say I didn't bother going on a pea hunt...

I will post an ad on CL selling eggs every spring. I inevitably get several calls from people who have had a wayward Pea show up at their home and they want me to come get it. Most do not understand when I tell them they need to contain it in some sort of pen first. I have been on too many "Wild Pea Chases" over the years.
barnie.gif

I can catch the ones i hatched by hand , they are the only ones for sale now unless someone really wants an older white peacock then i will have to lur him in the pen ahead of time cause i can't catch him without a net, he is a wild thang when traped

When i got folks coming i just open the pen and let the peas walk inside then when the buyer gets here they can pick what they want from the pen.

Sounds like your's are pretty much just like our's then.

Back
Top Bottom