Want to start raising show quality chickens...WTB chicks or eggs

GloriaCordelia

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 2, 2009
Long Beach
Don't really know how to explain this but, I would like to get into showing chickens. There are no good breeders that I know of from where I live. I have a few chickens but not of show quality. I'm looking for chicks or eggs from any of these breeds below to start my brood. Also if you happen to know of any breeders, I would appreciate it if you would leave their information so I could contact them.

-Jersey Giants
-Frizzles
-Silkies (the "splash" color, or lavender)
-Wyandottes (blue laced, buff laced, gold laced, silver laced, partridge, or lavender)
-Orpinton (lavender or buff)
-Silver Seabrights
-Almost any Bantams or Cochins

Thank you for the help : )

The first question you are going to get is are you interested in Large fowl or bantams? Are youi prepared to spend a lot of time and energy learning about the breeds and how to breed them. Do you have a copy of the APA standard of perfection? Do you have pens set up for this many breeds or room to set them up.

Wyandottes buddy Henry Backwoods POultry Farm Katy has some good ones

Jersey giants I have seen none better than Maria Hall. there may be better but I havent seen them. Others can help you with the rest of the breeds.

Do you subscribe to the Poultry Press? A lot of club and breed information in there as well

Last edited:
I can't help you right now, but hopefully in the spring I could help you out with blue/black/splash silkies, lavender orpingtons. They are not a recognized color and type is not very typey yet on the lavender orps, but most people are in the same boat. The benefit is we are close enough you would not have to ship eggs. Nothing is laying consistently now. i get a few eggs dribbled in here and there and fertlity is low with the short days and cooler weather right now. Good luck in your search. There are more good breeders of show chickens in So Cal than you know. Try to attend a poultry show locally and you will meet a lot of people that could maybe help you get started.
Oh, and...
welcome-byc.gif

In responce to Greathorse:
I'm interested in both large fowl and bantams. I am prepared for them, have everything ready to go besides the chickens. I do not have a copy of the APA standard of perfection, do you know where to get it? Thank you for the advice on the Wyandottes and the Jersey's I'll be sure to look them up. And I'm not subscribed to the Poultry Press, but I'll be sure to do that. Thank you again, I appreciate all the advice I can get.

And thank you for the welcome Manonri : )

Thank you onthespot. I actually read some other posts today and read one of your posts, and took your number down to call you tomorrow. I'm in no rush to get the chickens, so in spring if I'm still without my chickens I'll be giving you a call. The lavender orpintons, I did read that they weren't a recognized color, but I love the way they look so much I'm interested in just getting a couple as pets. The poultry show is a good idea, I will try to look some up. I love Norco by the way, first time I visited there I brought home my first 2 chickens : ) Thanks for the advice, and the welcome.

I am in Pomona and I have some buff orp chicks that are 6wks old. The eggs came from hinkjc if you want to look at her stock on her page. I have five males and three females (not 100% certain at this point, but it's a pretty good guess). Supposedly there is a guy coming today to pick up the girls, but I haven't heard from him yet and he was supposed to be here an hour ago. If he doesn't come, I have them all available. If he does come, I will probably only have males left. Let me know if you are interested.

9311_dscn0944.jpg

Well, he did show up. I have five left and I believe they are all males. I wish I could keep them longer to make certain, but I just don't have the right space for them. Hope you find what you are looking for!

http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/APA_ShoppingMall3.htm for standard of perfection

Now for the poultry press
Poultry Press
P.O. Box 542
Connersville, Indiana

You will like it. A bit crude perhaps but produced by a family and many good breeders both advertise or can be seen with their wins at shows etc.

Almost all shows of note advertise in this magazine and the results of most shows are posted.

I beleive you would get a lot from it,

Back
Top Bottom