Wanted an Australorp, got a Black Sex-Link...Thoughts??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by newchickenfamily, May 7, 2008.

1. Hello BYC'ers!

We are BRAND NEW to chickens. Got our first 3 chicks this past Saturday. RIR, Buff Orp and what I was told was an Australorp. Come to find out that it is a Black Sex-Link, which I don't know a thing about. I am considering taking her back and doing an exchange for an Australorp. Before I do that, I thought I'd come to the Forum to gain some insight on the Sex-Links. Any thoughts on personality plusses and minuses would be most appreciated!! [​IMG]

I wish I had room for many chickens, but our VERY suburban backyard limits us to only a few!!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

I like my black sexlinks. They have personality and cute gold flecked neclaces/bibs. :p

One of mine is a regular odd ball broody too. They have laid well even into their 3rd year.

3. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Our Black Sex Link hens were the very best brown egg layers we have had. X-Large eggs and lots of them!!

Did you post pics of your babies?

Jean

4. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Songster

Feb 21, 2008
    I ended up with what appears to be a black sex link from TSC was sold to me as chick as a BA, however she is making a rather pretty young pullet. She is pretty with her red/brown feathers around her neck and is quite friendly.

5. okiehen

okiehen Songster

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I like my two girls, nice birds calm and lay great.
    I'll be getting more when I need to.

6. Homegroanacres

Homegroanacres Chillin w/the Ice in my Glass

Apr 10, 2008
    Salem, Oregon
    Whether it be Red. Golden, Black, or umpteen other names,
    it is hard to beat the Sex Link as an egg layer. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: