Wanted : SSC Coturnix Quail

lalunaharvest

In the Brooder
May 10, 2018
Western NY
hey everyone!

I’m totally crazy over quail I have already a few coturnix however I’d love to get some different colors in my flock! Does anyone have or know anyone with SSC?(silver,lavender, or blue coloring) I’d love some hatching eggs or even chicks! :wee

I've ordered from Myshire Farm and had great success hatching their shipped eggs. They have a bunch of different colors including silver pharaohs, shofield silvers, and some german lines. I ordered 50 Italian eggs, received 60 with 1 cracked, set 59, had 50 at lockdown and hatched all 50.

http://myshirefarm.com/index.php/shop/

I've ordered from Myshire Farm and had great success hatching their shipped eggs. They have a bunch of different colors including silver pharaohs, shofield silvers, and some german lines. I ordered 50 Italian eggs, received 60 with 1 cracked, set 59, had 50 at lockdown and hatched all 50.

http://myshirefarm.com/index.php/shop/
I was looking into them I just wasn’t sure how great the hatching rate was! Perfect to hear thank you!

Hatching rates do vary depending on how the eggs were treated during shipment. I've been on a very good streak so far. I've ordered 5 shipments of eggs from 3 suppliers from 3 states and I've averaged a 75% hatch rate on total eggs set and a 93% hatch rate on viable eggs at lockdown.

My 120 Schofield Silver eggs from Myshire Farm did have a high hatch rate overall, but for sure had a wide variety of colors that did not favor silver babies. Nowhere near 50% "silver" as might be expected or predicted by the genetics. Lots of whites and Italians and other mixes. Some tuxedos. A few light or dusty brownish.

Also saw a trend with the Schofield Silver eggs where the white chicks did not make it more than a few days past hatch. The farm was not able to give me much feedback about if they had seen this trend reported from other customers, but I suspect there might be some genetics at play there impacting the chicks of that color. The deaths were seen both with my chicks as well as chicks that I sold to other people at only a day old.

Still think they are a great farm, so don't take this as a dig at them. Just a heads up!

^Very interesting! I had the same thing happen to my first hatch. The only white chick lived to 7 days and passed away in its sleep, it seemed to be a runt and didn't increase in size nor grow feathers like the rest of the chicks.

I bought my eggs from this ebay seller - mixed german lines. Paid for 12, got 19. 8 hatched but the white runt chick didn't survive. You might have a better hatch rate as I had never hatched anything before this batch. Very colorful chicks, have a light brown tuxedo, cream/gold color one, 1 standard coturnix, 2 dark brown/blacks, off white with black flecks and yellow with black flecks. No leg/toe deformities and growing like weeds!

Doesn't really have to do with the silvers but I ordered some Jumbo Pharaohs from James Marie Farm. I had 41 eggs at lockdown and I hatched out 37 quail. Of the 4 that didn't hatch all were pretty much completely developed in the shell and 3 of the 4 were the recessive white birds. I only had 1 recessive white bird that hatched and is still alive. Just thought that was interesting.... the odds of them surviving were MUCH less in my hatch. I wonder if this is common and could possibly be a similar situation with the silvers...

Back
Top Bottom