Wanting to buy a nice coop what do you think of this one

dezziy

Songster
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Ocala, Florida!
here is the info on it and tell me what you think ... this will be for 4 to 5 bantams... also what would you pay for this ... what would be the most you would pay for it?

This auction is for one set of MTN GearsmithTM Deluxe All-in-one Chicken Coop.
Features:

• Brand new MTN Gearsmith Deluxe Chicken Coop
  • all in one Chicken Coop (Chicken Coop, Nesting Box and Run Backyard)
  • Heavy duty galvanized wire helps keep chickens in and predators out
  • WaterProof Green Roof
  • Easily portable that allows you to move the coop throughout your landscape
  • High quality tongue and groove construction using kiln dried and smooth planed fir
  • Hinged Nest Box Lid to Collect the Eggs
  • Large sliding access door to the run with remote handle
  • High strength screwed construction
  • Hinged Door for easy access for Cleaning, Refilling Food and Water
  • Large side located Nesting Box
  • Removable Divider to make the Nest Box into 2 nest areas
  • Works great for chickens, rabbits, ducks, or other poultry
  • Sliding Access Door with a Ramp for chickens to Get in and out
  • Slide out droppings tray, galvanized metal lined, makes cleaning easy
  • Screened side window offers good ventilation for the hot months
  • Side window can easily be covered for cold weather use.
  • Some Assemble is needed
  • Overall Size: 76"(W) x 29"(D) x 41"(H)
  • Lower Run Area: 61"(L) x 27.5"(W) x 41"(H) (Backyard)x 17"(H) (Headroom under Coop Area)
  • Living Area: 20"(W) x 27.5"(D) x 24"(H)
  • Nesting Box: 23"(L) x 12"(W) x 14"(H)
  • Depending on size of the birds, it usually can fit about 5-8 Bantams or 2-4 Standard Hens. (User is to determine the quantity of birds according the coop size. )
Auction Includes:

• New MTN Gearsmith Deluxe All-in-one Chicken Coop x 1 set
  • Installation hardware set x 1set
  • English Installation Guide x 1pc

Here are the pictures of it ... it has a open side on the window i was wondering what i could cover it with when i want to... also i wonder if the bottom of the cage is wired or open

Looks open(the bottom), personally those coops are usually way to small and aren't sturdy nor built with much quality. You could put them in behind a strong pen but i have serious doubts it's big enough for much past two birds..

Sadly, usually out of the box styles just aren't worthwhile. what kind of predators do you have? are you able to build? chickens coops don't need to be fancy, many times a wood garden shed is Superior to those flat packed types.

i dont have to much money and i cant build :( im on disability i tried to find someone to build one for me but they all want a small fortune ....... my boyfriend built one last time but its not that good also some of our tools got stolen also .... we have some predators around here but my neighbor has like 8 traps and is great at it ... he has chickens and ducks ... so we get really lucky but if i get one that has open floor i will put something under the ground so nothing can dig in

This coop looks better than most prefab designs and can probably hold 3 chickens comfortably. The main two things that I see are that there is not good access to the run and the roof overhang is way too small. Depending on your weather I would be suprised if that roof kept water out of the coop area. Keeping the litter dry is probably the best thing you can do to avoid smells and it will make the coop last longer by keeping it dry and rot free.

The modifications I would do is to add corrugated fiberglass roofing to it to give it a foot overhang on all sides, this may cost about $50-80 depending on how you do it.

Next I would add a roosting bar in the run, it increases the effective area by giving the chickens somewhere else to go and somewhere new to sit. I have one in both of my coops and they love it.

Last edited:
Thanks sooo much for those ideas :) we also want to add more pen area i might add a tarp also ... where is a good place to roosting bars or what is the best way you make them

This looks like it would work for 3-4 bantams without any problem. We had an open air bantam coop of similar design. During the winter months, we purchased a clear (PVC free) shower curtain liner and cut it to fit over the wire part of the run and wire openings at the top. -stapled it down with some hardware staples. We left a few inches at the top of each section all the way around for ventilation. -helped keep the wind, rain, and cold out. If you purchase this one, I would definitely cover the bottom with hardware cloth or something else to kee out digging predators.

Yeah im gonna have to do that to the bottom . i live in florida so i doesn't get to cold i will cover some parts of it when its in the coldest months here but that was a very great idea thanks :) what do you think i should put in the coop for the chickens like bedding and things like that

My mom has one of these and I think it was ordered through SAMs Club for about $180 delivered to her door. For 3-4 bantams it will do. I do suggest you paint over it with a few coats of good paint and you make a treated wood frame or have it on blocks so it isn't directly on the ground. There is no bottom to it. Good luck! PS my mom and I are in NW FL.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom