Wanting to Clip My Poodle

mikarod

Songster
11 Years
Sep 28, 2008
Oklahoma
My poodle has the "cotton" hair that makes it VERY difficult to clip. It clogs up the clippers EVERY time.

BUT...someone mentioned that washing the dog then putting Infusium23 (leave in conditioner I'm guessing???) and blow-drying the hair will make it MUCH easier.

Is the Infusium23 leave-in hair conditioner or a spray time of product? Also...do I HAVE to blow dry him? Can I let him air-dry then brush him out?

Infusium23 can be purchased either way. It has been my personal experience that it is easier to apply in a pump sprayer.

As far as the drying method I'm not sure it it matters. My pup gets really puffy when I use the blow-dryer. Plus, it is easier to just let him air dry.

If you want your clippers to work, be sure the blades are sharp, and there is not short hair bits jammed between the two sides of the blades. Comb the dog out completely before you wash it. Getting mats wet only makes them tighten up and get harder to comb out. If you can't comb them out, cut them out with a scissors. be VERY cautious about pulling the skin up to cut, as it is very easy to cut the skin when you are trying to just cut a knot out. There is a good grooming tool known as a matt buster that is a curved bladed comb like thing that cuts through mats so you can then brush them out with a wire brush, then get the little left over snarls with a metal comb. Once you can get a comb through every inch of your dog, wash it, and yes, you do have to blow it BONE DRY or you will have more problems. You will be surprised how easy it is to clip even a cotton coated dog if you do your prep work well. If this sounds like too much work, or your dog doesn't like it, just strip it down with a ten blade and get a sweater for it until it grows back. Keep it combed out as it grows and you won't get in this predicament again. Don't feel bad, it happens to the best of us. Some days you just have to pick your battles. I know that the holiday season is coming and sometimes it is important for our furry friends to look their best, but all you can do is all you can do. Good luck, and feel free to PM me for more advice, or post here. Also, never use cream based, oily conditioners on poodle hair. It just makes it gummy and not stand up nice. Call a local groomer and ask if they can recommend a product that you can buy locally as a light conditioner for poodle coat. The ones I use you spray on them wet and don't rinse and then blow the dog dry. Hope this helps.

what size poodles do you have my standard size white female has the same hair and it's a booger to cut,but the black female her hair cut like a hot knife true butter,so thanks for the Idea of using infuisume does it really help

Wow, I even get to talk grooming here!
lol.png

I clip my mother's Silver Standard. He is about 18 months, and almost has his adult coat. It looks like it'll be the curly kind, thank goodness.

As far as leave in conditioner, it might help with clipping, but it will attract every last particle of dirt in the neighborhood. The best thing I've found is a mink oil conditioner, leave it in for three minutes, then rinse out.

It is WAY easier to clip the dog if you blow dry them. I've tried it both ways, and if he's not brushed out, my clippers lock up really fast. Here is how I dry Jamie:
Using a comb, start at the feet and comb upward while drying. when you get to the body go up and then start at the head and comb down the back, combing the hair towards the head each time.

I find it to be a huge pain, so my mom pays the groomer to wash and dry him, and then I pick him up and finish the grooming. Best of both worlds!

Good luck!

Here's a pic (needing a trim:rolleyes:)
[
17217_1017081345p.jpg

I'll get one as soon as I can! As of right now...all I have is the photo of the "wet" dog. I do have a head-shot of him so you can see the fluff of his head though!

It's not just a one-time thing...it's CONSTANT. I WISH it were that "wiry" hair that I'm used to having. Well...it's not wiry but it's better than cotton fluff? You know??

His hair is all groomed out...it's just I'm thinking the Infusium might make it easier because of his poof. Here's a photo of him looking somewhat playful and not evil.

TulsaStateFair096.jpg
Hmm...he's not as fluffy in this photo...LOL

DEMON poodle:
TulsaStateFair102.jpg
Here he is wet.

Back
Top Bottom