Warding off Foxes...?

VolailleAmant

Songster
Jul 26, 2016
Michigan
Hi!
Last night, I forgot to put my male and female month old Buff Silkies into the chicken coop. I did not think twice about it since they have been free ranging for a week! The reason only the Silkies were free ranging is: They were getting picked on by the hens and their crests were looking like crap. Anyhow, this morning when I went to do chicken chores, I found buff-coloured feathers all over and blood on the rocks that sit next to the pen....NOOO! :hitI can't find my little rooster. I consulted my handy-dandy chicken book and found out that it matched the fox-attacks description to a "T"! Now, based on your own experience, what is the best way to keep the foxes away? Besides putting them in the coop at night, I am planning on doing it! :) Thank you!
-VA

sorry for your loss.

but first off i would recommend an electric fence, not sure am not much on free ranging we have too many hawks,coyotes and coons to free range.

now some one is going to say "just shoot the thing" i would not disagree (as long as its legal and humane thing to do)

The trouble is theres always another one plus over there u guys have got so many more predators to worry about
I let mine free range and just love them in at night time when the light starts to drop and Let them out in the morning when its fully bright

Hi!
Last night, I forgot to put my male and female month old Buff Silkies into the chicken coop. I did not think twice about it since they have been free ranging for a week! The reason only the Silkies were free ranging is: They were getting picked on by the hens and their crests were looking like crap. Anyhow, this morning when I went to do chicken chores, I found buff-coloured feathers all over and blood on the rocks that sit next to the pen....NOOO! :hitI can't find my little rooster. I consulted my handy-dandy chicken book and found out that it matched the fox-attacks description to a "T"! Now, based on your own experience, what is the best way to keep the foxes away? Besides putting them in the coop at night, I am planning on doing it! :) Thank you!
-VA

so sorry for your loss, i know how you feel and how devasting it is.....ive lost 3 of my hens in 3 months....yesterday i left my ri ruby out in the yard and went to work thinkng my boyfriend would be home soon and put her away, that didnt happen so when he got home at 4 , whic she had been out sinc 11, he found a trail of feathers, im just sick about it and of course feel so much guilt about it too, why didnt i put her away like i always do before work, she hangs out in the yard almost every morning before i leave for work, ut of course the day i dont theirs a fox....i know it could of happened even when i was here if i would have been in the house and the fox came just missing her, she had so much personality...i have 3 4 month old hens that are cute and sweet but my original 3 had so much personality and were so beautiful...i just hate this....i actuall dont think i want to have chickens anymore its too hard when something happens to them, and we seem to have way to many foxes...just so sad and sorry for you, take care

sorry for your loss.

but first off i would recommend an electric fence, not sure am not much on free ranging we have too many hawks,coyotes and coons to free range.

now some one is going to say "just shoot the thing" i would not disagree (as long as its legal and humane thing to do)

I do not free range, well, yeah...I do :) Only my Silkies do because they get picked on by the hens and their crests begin to lose feathers... I have a guardian dog that has been sleeping near the chicken coop. I am depending on her! ;) Thank you!

The trouble is theres always another one plus over there u guys have got so many more predators to worry about
I let mine free range and just love them in at night time when the light starts to drop and Let them out in the morning when its fully bright

Mine are confined, but happen to jump out once in a while....What do you mean "more predators to worry about"? Thank you!

so sorry for your loss, i know how you feel and how devasting it is.....ive lost 3 of my hens in 3 months....yesterday i left my ri ruby out in the yard and went to work thinkng my boyfriend would be home soon and put her away, that didnt happen so when he got home at 4 , whic she had been out sinc 11, he found a trail of feathers, im just sick about it and of course feel so much guilt about it too, why didnt i put her away like i always do before work, she hangs out in the yard almost every morning before i leave for work, ut of course the day i dont theirs a fox....i know it could of happened even when i was here if i would have been in the house and the fox came just missing her, she had so much personality...i have 3 4 month old hens that are cute and sweet but my original 3 had so much personality and were so beautiful...i just hate this....i actuall dont think i want to have chickens anymore its too hard when something happens to them, and we seem to have way to many foxes...just so sad and sorry for you, take care

Thank you. I am sorry for your losses as well. Weird thing is, I have been raising chickens for 4 years and I haven't had predator-problems ever until now. Have a great day!
-VA

Back
Top Bottom