Warmth with tarp in a 10. By 10 fence chain link for dogs with silver tarp and heat bulb 125 temp 13

saddie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 21, 2012
Indiana
Waiting for coop to be built . Have 15 in a 10 by 10 with large silver tarp and one heat lamp. Wanted to put a 2nd 20 by 30 tarp with bungee . There our 4 small housing containers inside. What is best for heat? Straw , shaving . This tarp is blowing a lot around and under it. So it is tied down but I see the air going under it. I put boards and cement around it. With the 125 Bulb. There are post for the turkey that like to roast and boards the birds like to get on. Just need temp till coop is built . Then temp is 13 and lower due to winds in the 40s. No common . No jake you cannot answer lol

All adults. 3 turkeys , good wht. Ome male 2 females. Adult chickens . Smallest is roaster and Phoenix

Ground wet. Heavy with old hey , threw shavings down. Going to buy large tarp to put onto of old tarp. Have a pole in center to keep middle from accumulating water. One heat bulb 125

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I'm having difficultly picturing this set-up, but it sounds a bit small and not ideal, I'm afraid. You will have to keep the worst wind out and leave enough gaps for ventilation. A heat lamp is not needed unless the birds are very young, molting and it's several degrees below freezing. They are well designed with their feather duvets to keep themselves warm, but they don't like wind and they don't like a wet coop. Put a good layer of straw down on the floor for them and try and keep it dry. Depending on the predator situation by you, I think you should also look at how predator proof this set-up is. Lots of predators are more active at night and some, like raccoons can get in just about anywhere.

Have a look round the Coops section and here: Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance for more info and ideas for housing.

Well I think I will keep the light. They love to purch in its direction. It is not anywhere near them to burn them. Plus theo the male said he kick my a if I move it. He is about 29lbs. Raccoons , fox would be in this area? Any suggestions on deturent such as fox pee or my husband , my dog? The inside must be larger. I could put a couch and tv in there. It is my neighbors. The tarp on there now is about 20 by 30 . There are 2 large boards. Well I can take a picture. I will pick up hay and tick layering it. They usually free range except for this crazy weather.

Last quest . Bags sold of pine in pellet form to dry out horse stalls. All natural. When wet breaks down to a saw dust. States horses will not eat due to dryness ? Could I put that down then cover with straw.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom