WARNING Autopsy photos/ sick chickens

Aisha3789

Chirping
Apr 1, 2018
I have had two chickens that I got recently from the same seller die within a week. These chickens and most chickens here were not kept in very clean conditions. When we first got them they seemed ok...on the second day they started sneezing and had foamy eyes. Things progressed from there to the point they were gasping for air. We have consulted the vet abd he gave us an injection to give them and antibiotic tablets. We treated them for a few days and eventually they both died. The rooster also had a black comb which is assume was caused by respiratory distress. After he died we did an autopsy to check and I think it must be aspergillis or Wet Fowl Pox. I also cut open the lungs and found grayish/yellow lesions. What do you think? We also have a third hen from a different seller who did not catch this illness yet and she was around the sick chickens ...God willing she will be fine.

IMG-20180408-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20180408-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20180408-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20180408-WA0006.jpg

Sorry for your loss.
Poor things...sounds like they sold you sick chickens, which means your whole flock has already been exposed.
Are you posting photos?

@casportpony is this wet pox?

:confused:

Pus like lesions can be indicative of bacterial, viral or fungal infections in the airway and elsewhere. Mycoplasma, coryza, ILT, and aspergillosis from mold fungus are known to cause these yellow plaques. Wet or diphtheritis fowl pox virus in warm weather when mosquitoes are present, can also cause this. Most state vets or poultry labs can diagnose with a professional necropsy.

Pus like lesions can be indicative of bacterial, viral or fungal infections in the airway and elsewhere. Mycoplasma, coryza, ILT, and aspergillosis from mold fungus are known to cause these yellow plaques. Wet or diphtheritis fowl pox virus in warm weather when mosquitoes are present, can also cause this. Most state vets or poultry labs can diagnose with a professional necropsy.
I got tongue tied just reading your post !

Unfortunately where I live professional necropsy is not available. The vet here is even questionable bevause he doesn' tell the people what is contained in the injections he gives.

Are you outside the US or in what state? We have members all over the world posting, and have contact info for most state vets and poultry labs in the US. If you have a vet like that, they would be reported. I would not let them give any med without seeing the name or ingredients.

Are you outside the US or in what state? We have members all over the world posting, and have contact info for most state vets and poultry labs in the US. If you have a vet like that, they would be reported. I would not let them give any med without seeing the name or ingredients.
Although i am American and lived on a farm there for 27 years I'm outside the US now. I actually live in Pakistan. Everything is different here... I live in a very rural village so there isnt much available.

If I don't take the meds from the vet then I will have to give them human meds or nothing at all. It will take weeks to recieve anything by mail if it is even allowed by customs.

If you have seen dry fowl pox lesions on the combs or wattles, then it most likely is wet fowl pox. Coryza is pretty common in your part of the world, but ILT and Mycoplasma are as well. All of those are contagious to chickens for life, except for fowl pox which usually lasts for several weeks, then may be contagious from fallen scabs or in wtare/ feeders.

There are several other BYC members from Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom