warning: compostpile w/brooder litter (incl spilled food) => RATS

patandchickens

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I am currently trying to trap out the rat, probably plural, that are now living in my big ol' compost pile... I have never had this problem before and am fairly certain it's a result of dumping brooder cleanings that contained a large amount of spilled food.

Previously I've disposed of that sort of thing by spreading it thinly in a disused horse pasture; I will go back to that in the future; but darnit now I've got a rat problem to deal with
hmm.png

So, since b/c of the timing and the rat(s)' behavior I am just CERTAIN it's related to the dense concentration of food in the pile, I thought I would post this as a cautionary tale for others.

Off to check the trap again, muttering Bad Words,

Pat

Oooh, bummer. I too, dump the brooder gunk in the compost. Might need to rethink that!

Thanks for the warning!

If you've got space and a tractor, go away from the house to, say an unused pasture and dig a bit. The hole should look like a mini pool, ie, sloped front to back. Line the hole with straw bales and use that as your compost. I'd bet you had rats before, you are just noticing them now. Just like we've always had squirrels, but they are getting into my feed and it's irritating. Well, and they are dead thanks to the .22 It seems a shame to waste all that good compost, but you need to keep it HOT. Water it and cover it. If it's not hot all you've got is a big garbage pile. Anyway, maybe this will help.

I never even thought of that of that problem occurring. Thanks for the heads up! Good luck getting rid of those nasty boogers!

Thanks for the heads up. I just love everyone on this site. I'm going to give you my never fail rat killing recipe. I can't believe I'm telling you this but the rats I had would spring the traps or carry them off. YUCK!

1 part peanut butter
1 part plaster of paris (very cheap at craft stores)
Mix with enough vegetable oil to make a very thick paste. DO NOT ADD WATER. Roll into small balls and put where rats feed. Put out a bowl of water also. If they eat all of the 'cookies' make more but I'm sure the second batch won't be touched.

The rats eat this, drink water and their stomaches turn to cement. Bye Bye rats.

Keep away from desirable animals. Let me know how it works!

I am trying to be concious of my feed management and I try to avoid feed getting spilled too much or being left out overnight. But I think you can destroy the food in the compost my encouraging rapid decomposition by stirring it and keeping it moist.

Back
Top Bottom