WARNING: GRAPHIC PICS!!! Infected eye from pecking

City chick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 26, 2012
My speckled Sussex pullet got pecked by Scarlett, our bossy RIR. When I noticed the eye that was shut it wasn't bad so I dabbed on some hydrogen peroxide and neosporin and.put her in the coop while the others free ranged. This was about a week ago. It got worse after a few days so I repeated HP and neosporin, plus some hemerroid cream to sooth and reduce swelling and brought her inside where she's been staying in the tub. It's gotten very bad now and I went to the Tractor Supply in Covington and asked the manager, Mr. Greg, who is very knowledgeable, what he recommends and he told me Vetericyn spray. He says it works for everything and heals cuts and infections. In the last 24 hrs. I've applied it three times.
This is what she looks like.

That bird has a massive infection. She needs to see a vet ASAP. I doubt she is going to make it anyways, but at least a vet can put her out of her misery or give her the heavy duty antibiotics she is going to need to combat that infection.

I am sorry.

How is your chicken friend? I hate to say it, but it looks like all the antibiotic ointment did was help to seal the infection in- i.e. make an abscess. Vetricyn is wonderful stuff but it won't be able to open that up. Can you hold a warm compress on it and put a little gentle pressure in order to see if her body has started trying to drain it at all? I agree with CMV that your bird would definitely benefit from some antibiotics a.s.a.p. Best of luck.

This is an Abscess. Ive had this in reptiles. Without powerful antibiotics and a cleansing of the infected area, it will kill her.

You could try taking care of it on your own, but chances are it wont work. If you choose to, lance it ( small hole to release the infection if it is not draining on its own), clean it with water that has been boiled and cooled down to body temp, add a little salt to the water, but not too much, you dont want it to be too harsh. Like Teamchaos said, warm compress and message should do the trick at draining it. I would guess the eye is already a loss. Infection this severe could have already damaged the cells and put enough pressure on the eye to permanently damage it.

Neosporin is a topical and not recommended for open wounds. HP is harsh, but not as bad as alcohol. I would hesitate to use either. I would go with the Vetrycin.

Good luck! I hope she is going to be alright!

Back
Top Bottom