Warts on feet/nails? unknown toe nail growths with bumblefoot

jadie

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 9, 2012
My 5/6 year old hen was limping and I saw she had bumblefoot. When I was treating and cleaning the foot I noticed that there was a hard, dark growth at the base of her nail (almost from the skin but it sprouted from the nail). I dont think its poop balls, it seemed to bother her and was oval and very hard and to get it off I had to cut away at it in chunks. I cut it off to give her some releif when walking. this was on the middle toe
I noticed on her end toe there is a small bump on the base of the nail. Im thinking its starting to grow on another nail.
I have no idea what this is, I cant seem to find anything online.
Someone said they think it is warts, they said it happens to older chickens and may go away. they put coconut oil on it to soften and bring releif. Can anyoen back this up or tell me more?
Here are some pictures of the nails, I did put blue kot on them just in case thus the dark colors.
20180605_164518.jpg 20180605_164525.jpg 20180605_164555.jpg 20180605_164606.jpg

Greetings jadie,

What area of the country do you live in? Do you live in a humid environment most of the year?

A lot depends also, on the state of the bumblefoot, is it healing or is the infection getting worse?

If the bumblefoot infection is spreading, that black growth can be necrotic flesh.

But, these photos are unclear as to what is going on, because it appears that you used some blu-kote on the foot. Can you tell us what medicines you have used on the feet? What do you use to wash the feet, and how often?

You may have to treat for both bacterial infection and fungal.

A 5 to 6 year old hen will have some things that affect them more, due to age. But, if she has made it to that age, she must have a decent immune system.

I will check back with you soon, as I must attend to my chicken duties.

God Bless :)

Yes, I unfortunately wasnt thinking about getting good photos at the time before I did this...
I live in western New York, our summers are usually more of a humid heat rather than a dry heat, cold snowy winter and wet springs. This is the first time she has ever had bumblefoot and I noticed the nail stuff when I went to first treat it. The scab was about half the size of a dime. I believe I got out the whole kernel but ill have to wait and see if it comes back and how it is healing.
I dont treat them with medicine, and I usually dont wash their feet unless they are dirty and with a hose or just some soapy water or water with epsom salts, no chemicals or medicines. Should I be washing their feet more or with something?
What would be some good things to treat her feet with?

Here is a picture of the bumblefoot today (2days after "surgery") no pus or blood or dirt in it but still raw. I think its healing well so far?
You can kind of see the nails a bit too but blue kot still present.
20180606_172803.jpg

Last edited:
Keep treating the bumblefoot.

Soak the foot in a warm epsom salt bath for about 5 min. This will help to kill bacteria and fungus, as well as clean the foot.

You absolutely must apply a triple antibiotic ointment like Neosporin (without pain reliever). Then, cover with a band-aid or piece of sterile gauze, and, wrap with self stick vet wrap. You should change the dressing every 3 days, for the first week. Then, if it looks like it is healing well, new skin growing, you can change the bandage and wrapping every 5 days or so, till completely healed.

Because you live in a humid environment, you'll have to be careful of fungal growths and secondary infection.

The growth on the toe nail may be a fungus, which can complicate the bumblefoot infection, if you don't stay on top of it. In fact, it is common for a sick chicken to get a fungal infection, because the immune system is weakened, and more so, if it has been a long rainy season.

You'll need a good antifungal for the toes. These external fungus' are very hard to get rid of. I had a similar fungus on one of my hen's comb, for about six months. And that's because I tried about three different creams. I finally decided to thicken some Nystatin with some cornstarch and apply it like a plaster. After 4 weeks, the fungus finally gave up!

If you've noticed the hen having trouble with a gaseous crop, she may also need an oral antifungal. Powerful antifungals need a prescription here in California, but, I have a good vet that will write the prescription for me. Or, you can try an over the counter antifungal from the drug store. Something like, Miconazole Nitrate 2 % Topical Cream. Apply the cream thickly, then wrap the toes. Leave for 24 hours, then unwrap to see if there is any improvement. Even just the slightest improvement is good. Then, you can apply the antifungal in the evening just before the chicken goes to sleep. That way it won't get rubbed off while the chicken is running around.

An herbal remedy would be giving the chicken one to two drops of oregano oil, daily. Mix into some some yogurt, and administer with an oral syringe. I would start with just one drop, as, oregano oil is a powerful herb. It's also antibacterial.

However, the severity of the fungus (if it is a fungus), may warrant an oral, and external antifungal, from a vet. If the chicken starts to have symptoms like lethargy, stops eating, is sleepy, then an avian or exotic pet, vet may be needed.

Toenails can fall off with severe fungal infections. And in prolonged cases, the chicken can die if the fungus goes internal.

Keep the chicken in a dry environment, and make sure the coop is dry too.

These are my thoughts on your chicken's foot issue. I hope I have been helpful. Other members will have advise, please consider them too.

God Bless :)

This is the best advice I've gotten. Ill look into a bit more and take your advice as well. Ill try to keep you updated. Thank you so much!!! This is my first time having chickens so I still have a bit to learn that comes with experience but I feel like im always learning more health issues, care methods, etc. Thanks!!!!!

Oh yes, believe me...I am still learning too!

It seems that when it rains for a long time, you will find a chicken sick, with one thing or another. And, it's hard to diagnose like a vet. They have a multitude of tests available to them.

Hopefully, we are on the right track. If things are not working, call out for help again. Maybe another member will have the answer. :confused:

God Bless, peace and good health to you and you flock. :)

So when i just checked on her, her toe nail fell off...but on the good foot which I checked the other day and it looked fine. It was very bloody and hurt her. Not sure if thats a good thing (if it was dead or anything it wouldnt be so bloody right?) I cleaned it, put stuff on it and wrapped it up. Before hand they were outside scratching around in stuff in the yard so would it be possible it got caught on something?
My poor old girl. I will keep doing my research.

Greetings jadie,

You really should consult an avian or exotic animal vet.

This is really bad, fungus are difficult organisms to deal with. They are constantly adapting to new ph levels, fungicides and temperatures.

And, if this is not a fungal issue, it could be a narcotizing infection from the bumblefoot. The foot will feel hot to the touch if infection is spreading.

When a toe nail falls off, it is because the nail bed has lost blood flow. This can be due to impact injury, frostbite, bacteria, or fungal infection. If the nail bed dies, then, the nail will not regrow.

In all scenarios a chicken will can lose it's life, if appropriate treatment is not started in a timely manner.

If you can't take it to see a vet, you will have to be ready to euthanize. You don't want to let the bird suffer.

God Bless. :(

I do have an avian vet near by ish so I will give them a call. I do think whatever is going on is past home remedies. thank you.

Back
Top Bottom