Warts on feet/nails? unknown toe nail growths with bumblefoot

When a toe nail falls off, it is because the nail bed has lost blood flow. This can be due to impact injury, frostbite, bacteria, or fungal infection. If the nail bed dies, then, the nail will not regrow.

The statement above is true.... however I don’t think it applies to the missing toenail in this case.... the OP said that she found the hen today with the nail missing and bleeding and on the opposite foot than the bumblefoot
The bleeding is an important point, because it means that #1- the toe is NOT necrotic... and #2- it suggests there was probably trauma involved, likely that the hen got her toe stuck somewhere (wire surrounding the run, knothole in the roost, crack in the ladder or ramp... the possibilities are infinite) if you could figure out where it might have happened (depending on where she could’ve been prior to being found— had you just let them out of the coop?... was she in an enclosed run, with nowhere else to go?...) you could look around the area to see if you could find the nail.... there’s probably blood drops nearby. [Of course, it’s possible it already got eaten by another bird.... but you could give a peek around anyway, just for kicks and giggles. ]

Anyway... the relevant point is that a fresh, bleeding wound where the toenail was present and unaffected just hours before, rules out that the nail was necrotic and rotting... the bumblefoot infection isn’t going to jump to the other foot without any other sympotomology present...

The statement above is true.... however I don’t think it applies to the missing toenail in this case.... the OP said that she found the hen today with the nail missing and bleeding and on the opposite foot than the bumblefoot
The bleeding is an important point, because it means that #1- the toe is NOT necrotic... and #2- it suggests there was probably trauma involved, likely that the hen got her toe stuck somewhere (wire surrounding the run, knothole in the roost, crack in the ladder or ramp... the possibilities are infinite) if you could figure out where it might have happened (depending on where she could’ve been prior to being found— had you just let them out of the coop?... was she in an enclosed run, with nowhere else to go?...) you could look around the area to see if you could find the nail.... there’s probably blood drops nearby. [Of course, it’s possible it already got eaten by another bird.... but you could give a peek around anyway, just for kicks and giggles. ]

Anyway... the relevant point is that a fresh, bleeding wound where the toenail was present and unaffected just hours before, rules out that the nail was necrotic and rotting... the bumblefoot infection isn’t going to jump to the other foot without any other sympotomology present...

Thats what I was thinking when I saw the bleeding, when I found her she was in teh dirt dusting. I the only wire that I that I can think of is standing fences, no ladders, unless there is something she got into somewhere but i dont know yet.
Let me know if you have any advice what is going on with her feet or tips on after care. Thanks

I was thinking of a ladder into or inside your coop.... a lot of setups have them.
It could even have been a crack in the floor of the coop. Who knows?.....

Wound care is the same, regardless of how the toe was injured. Be sure to keep it clean and keep an eye on it, so you can catch any infection early, before it gets a foothold (pun definitely intended ;))

I was thinking of a ladder into or inside your coop.... a lot of setups have them.
It could even have been a crack in the floor of the coop. Who knows?.....

Wound care is the same, regardless of how the toe was injured. Be sure to keep it clean and keep an eye on it, so you can catch any infection early, before it gets a foothold (pun definitely intended ;))
Thanks will do. Do you know anything about the hard, nail like growth on the bottom of her nail (on the foot with bumblefoot). Someone told me it might be a fungal infection but I cant find much information on that in feet, or pictures that match what I saw.

Back
Top Bottom