Was that a crow I heard??

megg902

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 24, 2011
Bastrop
I heard my baby boys first attempt at crowing this morning!!!! This is our first experience with chickens and we have 12 pullets and 3 cocks, not all the same age. My white leghorn cock is about 3-4 weeks older then my other 2, they are a barred rock and a RIR. I am assuming that it was the leghorn that let out the crow. It was so funny! Something of a cross between a cough and an actual crow.

It was insane how excited I got. I woke my husband up jumping up out of the bed to run to the window to try and see!!!
lau.gif
Needless to say he wasn't nearly as excited as I was.

I know I am going to need to get rid of atleast 1 of the roos since I wont have enough hens. But Im trying to wait a while still. Just to see what everyone will look like and act like. If one tends to be much more aggressive than the others it wont be too hard of a choice. Any advice out there on which of the 3 cocks will make the best roo? The cocks are leghorn, barred rock, and rir. My pullets are a mixed group of barred rocks, rir's, 1 leghorn and 1 silver campine.

Thanks, Megan

One of my 9 week old Brahma 'pullets' started crowing this week. He sounds like he is coughing and gargling at the same time. 2 years ago when I got my first chicks one of the EE pullets started doing the same thing at the same age. What has saved Edgar the Easter Eggers life is a page of rooster advice written by Gritsar: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?.id=4810 Edgar needs a refresher course about every 4-8 weeks or he will challenge me. The refresher turns out to be a good time to check for mites, lice, dings, and dents. He also gets a few feathers snipped for DH's fly tying supplies. Have to say the best attitude adjustment I have found for Edgar is a soapy bath. There have been a few times the hens have plucked his newly emerging pin feathers bloody. He is very calm during a bath. Afterward he will keep a minimum of 10' away from me at least a week.

I plan to follow Grit's advice again with this 9 week old roo. He needs to know he is not the toughest thing on 2 legs. Hopefully someone with more experience with your 3 roo breeds will chime in about which ones will be easier to live with.

They are funny, I have some roo's 8 weeks old and they are just starting to try to crow. There is one and I can never seem to catch him on video, but he sounds like a kazoo or one of them party favors that you blow in... It is so funny! I tell my children that while they sleep-in the chickens are having a party without them
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Thats awesome. Wish you could record that. It sounds like quiet the experience!

I have been trying but as soon as they see me they get real quiet, aside from the regular clucking.... and I haven' heard it again for a couple of days
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom