3bird

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 2, 2017
Rockland, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, All.

I've found a lot of information on washing versus not washing duck eggs. I wanted to share what we have decided to do.

20180330_215428.jpg

We do not wash the eggs we eat. Instead we just flick off any straw or shavings and then store them at room temperature in egg cartons until we're ready to eat them. In terms of the ones we offer to other people, we offer both "Bloom" and "Washed," and we then provide additional information through our website. We've found that most people are down with the "Bloom" eggs, but a few prefer them washed.

How do you handle this situation if you share your eggs with others?

You can do both, wash and refrigerate the ones you share with people that preferred wash and do the the opposite with the ones who preferred unwashed.

Few years ago my ignorance as a city dweller before our backyard chickens life made me missed out on good stuff. Some friends that has farms keep on giving us eggs from chicken and ducks unwashed, I normally decline and said we’re good but sometimes will accept them and put it in the frig for months until we throw them away since we couldn’t stand eating eggs that are unwashed or that are not from supermarket.

You can do both, wash and refrigerate the ones you share with people that preferred wash and do the the opposite with the ones who preferred unwashed.
That's what we do, but we decided to give people the choice on the carton and then provide additional information on the website. We've found that it sparks a conversation, which is cool.

How long do you say they are good for, for the washed and unwashed? Currently my only customers are family, so they don't ask much questions for free eggs, haha. However, I've had a few distant relatives asking for eggs as well and want to know the "expiration date". At our house we will eat eggs as old as 5 weeks as long as

How long do you say they are good for, for the washed and unwashed? Currently my only customers are family, so they don't ask much questions for free eggs, haha. However, I've had a few distant relatives asking for eggs as well and want to know the "expiration date". At our house we will eat eggs as old as 5 weeks as long as

We are NOT experts! :) Having said that, conventional wisdom pegs unwashed/unrefrigerated duck eggs at months. We only share eggs that are less than a couple weeks old with our visitors, but we'll eat older eggs ourselves. We only provide a "laid on" date and not an expiration date. In part, this is because we had a hard time finding reliable information we felt comfortable passing on. I'd love to know if folks have a good source for expiration date projections.

You might run into trouble with your state. My state says the eggs have to be washed and refrigerated.
That is correct, and I should have mentioned that. We only sell washed eggs stored at 45 degrees F or less. In terms of washing, we are required only to: "Clean the eggs of any fecal matter as needed."

Back
Top Bottom