Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    Happy early Valentine's Day everyone! Tomorrow we'll have school in the morning and make family V-day cards and crafts for each other. I have small cards and gifts for the kids too. DH got a babysitter (I didn't even ask or suggest it!) and we're going on a date from 1-6; might see a movie if there's anything still out there we want to see. Only things I can think of are Breaking Dawn II or The Hobbit. I'm sure we'll eat out too, since we can without the kids!

2. sarahkatie

sarahkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2013
    Sw Washington
    welcome!!!

3. RainMom

RainMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    I'd love to have some- and I'd return the favor! I ran out of Sambucol after the first 2 sick people in the house.

4. FirewifeJess

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey

5. cieraphoto

cieraphoto Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    Puyallup, WA
    [​IMG]
    This is one of my 2 week old Golden Phoenix chicks. They grow so fast! Anyone have a guess on the gender? haha

6. RainMom

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    Have you eaten at the Iron Grill in Covington, across from Office Depot? We really like the fresh "make your own" stir-fry. We bring our own GF teriaki or soy sauce to avoid gluten. I requested a break from cooking and a few hours of rest for Valentine's dinner- and stir fry sounds awesome.

7. FirewifeJess

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey

8. RainMom

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    If Y'all have not tried the DELICATA squash- you have missed an awesome thing. it's our absolute favorite- sweeter than butternut, and very easy to cut up (unlike butternut, where I have to wait till the strong one gets home to whack it in half! ) http://summertomato.com/better-than-butternut-roasted-delicata-squash-recipe/

9. RainMom

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    welcome Lutefisk! Glad to have you join us!
    BTW- There's some
    Olympians in the group here

10. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    Geesh, already more then a thousand posts since I was last here. :p ya all talk a lot! :)
    I am looking for some duck eggs to hatch. Runners or good meat birds preferred, no real breeding preference (such as SQ or colors etc).

OK I have to split this up.
    Yes we humans have been "Genetically modifying" plants and animals for thousands of years...... But that is not what is identified as GMO. The issue with GMO is the genetic materials that come from something that could never have been in the natural selection/crossbreeding that we have done for thousands of years. I have major issues with viruses, animal genes being used in plants and making food plants "poisonous" to bugs (I think the scientist forget that people eat the plants that they are trying to stop the bugs from eating) which is most likely not good for us. I do not want food that does not rot, grows at unnatural speed/size and messing with the ecosystem. Did you know that if I plant corn of a non-GMO variety and if someone with in 5 miles (I think that is the size) plants GMO corn My corn will produce GMO kernels dues to cross pollination? That means that now my corn contains genetic material from what ever they think to add in. I think everyone should have a choice. and I think we should want things labeled and something like Heritage (natural selection/breeding) and GMO (genetically modified in a lab with "name" genetics)

That being said I think there is a lot of good Genetic modifications can do! I personally benefit from the research done on the genome mapping and other genetic reproduction/cloning/3D printing etc. I might be able to get my vision back due to a lot of the research there and with stem cells. They have narrowed down to the specific gene and are now working on possible retro-virus or stem cell solutions. My mom and my sister have taken meds from this kind of research to put their problems in remission. I hope that my niece and nephew will live to see diabetes 1 and 2 cured. They do incredible things in labs.

But I still want to know where my food comes from and if there was any lab mixing of species/chemicals/viruses in my food source.

Does she have your phone number? I can text her and let her know to call you.

Any chance of setting up a web cam to catch them in the act? If you can post a sign in your garden that says that the garden is monitored 24/7 and that anyone who takes from the garden will have their photo posted on all telephone polls in the area as well as on facebook.

Your not going to find anything nasty enough for them to stop. But your going to have to do the flyer thing at least once before they believe you.

Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by