Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Farmin Momma

Farmin Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Mill Creek, Wa
    Does she have your phone number? I can text her and let her know to call you.

2. TacomaFarms

TacomaFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    Tacoma, WA

Looking good Chickielady!

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to buy seeds from? I have looked through a few catalogs, and it seems that ebay has the best prices, but they also aren't from a clearly reputable organic/heirloom grower. I'm having trouble justifying spending $50 on seeds, or $40+$6shipping. I haven't gone anywhere locally, but I'd really like to find high quality organic or heirloom seeds.

Also, does anyone have any asparagus crowns or honeysuckle vines, or know where to get those?

3. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    Msg sent Farmin Mama

I have a pair of BLRW chicks hatched at the end of DEC. located in north Seattle, anyone want them for $25 for the pair?
    I am positive 1 is a roo and pretty sure second is a pullet but no guarantees

Still looking for hatching eggs of:
    Runner ducks
    Meat ducks (want to test my bator with ducks as well ashave some for the freezer)
    Heritage stock Rhode Island Reds
    Heritage stock Barred Rocks
    Heritage stock ?What do you have?
    Maran from dark egg stock
    LF Ameraucana to add in more possibles to my flock.

What do you breed?

Do not need any OE's, EE's, BLRW or Orpingtons.

4. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    Chickielady the house is looking great!
    Do you have any buckeyes left? could use some hatching eggs from them :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  5. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    Can a broody raise meaties or does that pose more troubleshooting than layer chicks? It would be nice to raise meaties each spring under a broody...

6. Totalcolour

Totalcolour Chillin' With My Peeps

Interesting idea. We usually slaughter at 4-7 weeks, and they are almost as big as the LF by that time. I'm not sure a broody could handle them. Plus, they are incredibly lethargic - never moving from the food or water.

The image of a broody with 3-4 meaties of 3 or more lbs each trying to get under her is simply stupefying!

We just placed an order for 100 meaties - (half for a friend) we'd need a LOT of broodies to manage 50!

7. Totalcolour

Totalcolour Chillin' With My Peeps

Rainwolf
    Umm, I have some Barnevelders, but they've only just started laying. I think I'd wait a few more weeks to make sure "BoB" is doing his job. (Dark eggs like Marans)

The Muscovies haven't started laying yet - they make marvelous food (we have a freezer full). I'll let you know when we have some.

8. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    I have muscovies. I get a new pen to seperate them tomorrow. If ya want some when i for sure am getting eggs you can have some to incubate. But they take 30 to 35 days to incubate.

9. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    i just got done breaking a fan that is meant for under a laptop and wiring one of the fans from it into my incubator. Yes I took a $10 double fan thing and ripped it all apart. I didn't want two fans in my incubator. I never use it under my computer, it was collecting dust. So now i have one wired in the incubator and can wire up the other one later for in my home made incubator.

10. Lutefisk

Lutefisk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    Thanks all for the warm welcome! A little more background on me and our chickens - I'm new to chickens as of two years ago when we got our first chicks from the local Del's .I have been interested in them for awhile, but my DP had them as a kid and thought it would be too much work on top of our full time jobs, but then she surprised me with a chicken tractor (one of those a-frame things that's supposed to hold 6 chickens) for my birthday.

As it turns out they are not too much work, especially since our GSD has taken over guard duty (after eating most of the first batch) and we don't need to lock/unlock them every day or move the coop several times a week. Plus they are much nicer pets than either of us anticipated. Rather too nice, as the plan was for them to be for the soup when they are done laying. Part of the long term plan to improve our ecological impact and become more food independent. That is still the plan, but it will be tough to slaughter them ourselves, and I hope to find someone we can trade slaughter duty with so we don't have to slaughter our own. Or maybe when we have more it won't be so tough.

We are planning to expand by another 5 this spring. Easter Egger or Ameracauna, Welsummer, Maran, Barred Rock. Maybe a rooster (we have the neighbor's blessing) if we can find a nice one. Anyone near Shelton or Oly hatching any of these? Would rather buy from people than the feed store chain.

Also, saw mention of a chicken show in Monroe, any more info about it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by