Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Well the girl laid me three eggs, quit, then started crowing. She only does it very early in the morning when I'm getting the morning scratch. She has a very respectable crow. She doesn't act like a girl or boy anymore. She's uninterested in mating now, even though she used to squat for the rooster. She's all up to defending her friends from unwanted advances. She still attacks like a hen.

2. RainMom

RainMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    I think just keeping GF bread, buns, rolls, bagels, a few mixes, and some general purpose GF flours on hand is a big part of how we make it work here. I "buy 3, freeze 2", because its a hassle to run out. Having a few TV dinners" for emergencies when you are starving helps. (The freezer section of Olympia Co-Op and Fred meyers are helpful places to look for that stuff). GF Joe's- which is practically across the street from the Costco in Tumwater has lkots of options, but are more pricey- still- if not up to going to a big store, or you are in a hurry, or don't feel like reading labels- his entire store is GF.

3. robj

robj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Olympia Wa.
    So we got the first egg from our Wheaten Marans I just gotta say It's about TIME! Madi my oldest found this one and a very soft sell egg that fell apart when she picked it up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. RainMom

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    congrats Rob!
    How old are the Maran hens?

5. robj

Aug 3, 2012
    Olympia Wa.
    Sleep is over rated! This is an VERY NICE place! Get some sleep and tomorrow DETAILS!!!! I LIKE IT!!![​IMG]

6. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Well, next weekend(prolly Monday) I will be getting 2 SFH and 2 CCL from AyeUpChuck and maybe 1 bantam BLRW from Cloverleaf, to go with the one egg ender my broody. Woohoo.

7. Greg Richardson

Greg Richardson Chillin' With My Peeps

FM. Disclaimer. Not an inspector. I have just witnessed over the years problems inspectors have missed.

Obtain an inspection no matter if you buying a 5 year old or a 100 year old home.
    This is the step most people either don't do when buying a home or they get just anyone to inspect it because down deep in their heart all they can see is the house and all the plans for it.
    Being in construction for over 30 years I've seen many money pits that have totally destroy people's lives. It is very sad.

It is so important to get a REAL INSPECTOR!

Ask to see his reports on other homes.

Examine them so you can see is he checking everything out?
    How well is he describing the problems?

Ask him if he goes under the crawl space or is he just shining a light down it?

Ask his experience on older homes.

Last question is............ and when you ask this........................ make sure you watch his face and body language................... do you mind if we follow you around while you do the inspection?

I have no problem people watching me work.
    It's their money and they deserve to see what they are paying for.

Notice I put we in bold?

That is because two people listening to what he says about the biggest investment of your life is much better then just one.
    Two people will catch more.
    Video tape the inspection so there is no doubt you understand what he is talking about.

Then, based on the inspection report, if you still want the house, you just got new cards to bring to the sales price negotiation table in your favor to either get problems fixed now, or compensated to repair later.

This step is sooooooooooooooooooooo important yet soooooooooooooooooooooooooo many people don't take the time to do it right because all they have is the lust for the home in their eyes.

We all been there.
    Just like buying a used car not taking it to a mechanic big mistake.

2 people like this.
  8. RainMom

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    I thought I'd post pics of this one hen I got in my bunch this weekend. She's supposedly a Faverole, but she's certainly not to the breed standards- if I understand correctly. She is a sweet hen though- nice and tame.

[​IMG]

here's another shot:

[​IMG]

and another one:
    [​IMG]

here's the 3 musketeers
    [​IMG]
    This is in the temporary pen- they are going to have to hang out here for awhile until we can make the new pen. Once they are used to being here, I will let them out ot free range. I got 2 eggs from the 8 hens today- which I thought was not too bad, considering the trauma they had- being caught in nets in broad daylight, hauled in a dog kennel and dumped in a pen with a converted dog house, then stalked by 2 curious cats and a very excited labrador.

9. robj

Aug 3, 2012
    Olympia Wa.
    I Agree!

10. robj

Aug 3, 2012
    Olympia Wa.
    So we went to visit Mikayla's friend Connie. Connie and her sister Kara have some amazing RIR hens. They'll ride around on your shoulders two at a time and Kara rides her bike with hers on the handle bars. I swear those chickens can smile! This is just a sample of the fun they had!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by